error= -36

locash

Registered
i am trying to connect to a windows network at work on my powerbook. runnnin os x.2.4
i click on finder and the go connect to server.
it sees the drives i select the one i want and go connect.
then i gives me
connecting to smb://cscnet3.centrestreetchurch.ab.ca.....
an erro has occured (error= -36)

what can i do?

The following is from AppleCare document 107096:

DISCUSSION

Symptom

When you try to connect to a Windows-compatible computer, an alert box with this message appears:

"SMB Connect Error = -36"

Products affected
? Mac OS X 10.2 or later

Solution

There are many reasons why the connection may be refused by the shared Windows computer.

First, make sure that the share point you are trying to connect to is set up correctly and that other users can log in to the computer.

You should also verify that the user account you are using is set up properly. When you log in to the computer, make sure you are entering your user name and (case-sensitive) password correctly.

If you are connecting to Windows XP, make sure that the Internet Connection Firewall settings are not interfering with your connection. SMB uses ports 137, 138 and 139. These ports should be open on the Windows XP computer.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Document 17159, "Locating Vendor Information", can help you search for a particular vendor's address and phone number.

Hope that helps ...

when i connect my mac to the network i dont get any login window where i can login to the network.
the rest of the info does not help.
the system is setup and my account has been setup for a long time.

i can currently get internet...and printers. but no file sharing.

I'm having the same problem. Can anyone give a more detailed how-to for settings on both the Windows and Mac?

hmmmm, I've had issues if I don't specify the share when connecting, but in general it just seems to be flaky. What domain are you authenticating against when you try to gain access to the Windows box? it's usually a three tiered window when you authenticate.

Also, just for clarity, Macintoshes don't genericly authenticate against a server to be part of the domain from what I've seen. Macintoshes only authenticate against a single server at a time when trying to access files on that server.

There is no authenticating against a network, you simply have network. The authentication windows does at login is to carry that authentication to all subsequent servers so that you don't have to authenticate a bunch of times. IP and internet connectivity is a separate issue.

Back