error code 36

lbodey

Registered
I apologize if this has already been answered and I have searched for help on this but can't find my exact situation.

I just bought a macbook after my pc crashed. I took out my old flash hard drive and loaded it into an enclosure to be able to transfer my files to the new mac. However, I keep getting the error coded 36. Actually, some files will copy over if I select the files themselves and not the folder - but only some files will copy. I want to be able to copy an entire file with subfolders onto the mac. When I try this the mac hangs up, gives me the error code and then notifies me the external drive was incorrectly ejected - although it is still plugged in. Please help - thanks

please help with this or tell me where to find the info

I switched to a mac expecting better performance than this - my pcs have never had this problem - I am about ready to take this mac back to the store

thanks

Methinks the problem is that your files are of a type that the Mac does not recognize.

Nevertheless, you need to give more information regarding your Mac--see the "stickies." I would also suggest giving information on exactly what type of files are not transferring.

--J.D.

What OS X system (version) are you running?
--Have you run permissions yet?
what's this?
--Have you used Disk Utility from the CD to Repair Disk?
can I do this to an external disk
--What devices are connected to your machine?
only the external drive

This error usually hits disks that are nearly full of large folders of MP3 or MP4 files that were downloaded from Internet. The simplest solution is to copy files individually and erase these as you progress.

What OS X system (version) are you running?
--Have you run permissions yet?
what's this?
--Have you used Disk Utility from the CD to Repair Disk?
can I do this to an external disk
--What devices are connected to your machine?
only the external drive

Yes, you can apply Disk Utility on external drives. But its functionality is reduced if the external drive is FAT32.

ok - I will just transfer individually - this will take forever as I have a lot of files

I did try to use "mv" command in the Terminal and drag/drop the copy from and copy to files with no success

thanks

ok - I will just transfer individually - this will take forever as I have a lot of files

I did try to use "mv" command in the Terminal and drag/drop the copy from and copy to files with no success

thanks

You can transfer group of files (not folders). When it hangs on a file, just move the others and keep that file for later.

Do not forget to erase moved files and empty the trash. It will free space on your drive a simplify the process.

Back