Error in Learning Cocoa Book 2nd Edt.?

mdeaves

Registered
Hi there,

I have started learning cocoa as part of my university course and got a copy of apple's book made with o'reilly called Learning Cocoa With Objective C.
The book seems cool but I have come accross some errors when building my projects. The build errors are something like this - "cant find prefix.h missing file or directory". I have also noticed some extra files being generated in project builder after i choose to create files for the two classes mentioned in the book.
Even when building simple programs like the currency converter i get this message. I thought maybe the book had a mistake and so got hold of the on line version of the currency converter tutorial and tried that, only to get the same error. Am running Mac OS X 10.2.6 and the december 2002 developer tools which i believe are the latest versions.... any ideas? please?

Thanks,

mdeaves

Hello again,

i can see why my post was merged with this one but but the book i have trouble with is Cocoa not carbon... cant anyone shed some light on this for me as i am really out of ideas..... Have even tried another book last night - one by The Big Nerd Ranch, brown one. Still getting the same problems...... :(

Sorry, I didn't notice that your thread was about Cocoa and not Carbon. Threads are split back to what they were:eek:

Learning Cocoa With Objective C is riddled with typos. Particularly in syntax. They also assume you know about programming terms like pointers, and yet they walk you through step by step how to install the developer tools. I'd suggest looking for possible syntax errors that may still compire correctly. I had that problem many times with this book.

The problem isn't with the book, it's a bug in the latest version of ProjectBuilder.

Here's the answer to your problem, stated more clearly and succinctly than I could do it ;):

http://cocoa.mamasam.com/COCOADEV/2002/12/2/52959.php

Oh, yeah, and a special "p.s." to tjw: I'll bet you're referring to the first edition of the book. Learning Cocoa with Objective-C, First Edition, was, not to put too fine a point on it, a pile of crap. The Second Edition of the same book, unbelievably, is like a completely different book, and it's excellent. It's like night and day. Please do check it out if you haven't.

Back