ESPON C2000+IPP+OS x 10.4.7

duncanelliot

Registered
Hello there,

I am trying to print using IPP onto an Epson C2000 which is on the LAN. The idea is to be able to print on the internet. I think I am getting the syntax wrong in the IPP address bar, I tried:

IPP://192.168.1.21:631/accounts (accounts is the name of the printer)
IPP://192.168.1.21:631/printers/accounts
ipp://192.168.1.21:631/accounts
http://192.168.1.21:631/accounts
...etc

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Can you tell us some more details, please?
There are 2 or 3 "2000" models - I can't find the C2000. Is it a postscript printer? Do you have a network-capable driver for it?

Is this connected to a print server or does it have an ethernet card built-in? The name of the printer is Rarely the same as the print server's queue name - do you know the queue name?

If you're trying to print over the internet to a printer on another network (e.g. from home to work over your ADSL line) then trying to print to any 192.168.x.x address won't work as that's a 'private' IP address used on private, non-routable LANs.

Basically your machine at home can't see the printer. You need to either get some remote access to your office LAN (e.g. VPN) or make the printer 'internet facing', i.e. accessible from the internet.

To gsahli--> I have two of these machines, one is a standard aculaser C2000 and the other is an aculaser C2000 PS3. They are connected to the network via an ethernet interface and have been assigned static private IP's.

To Woodgie2--> I am aware of the issues of private addressing, I have successfully printed over the internet by using IPP from an XP machine. To do so I port forwarded port 631 to the the private IP of the printer. It worked very well. I don't have a print server but my router is a Draytek V2800 which I understand is a print server.
I tried opening all the ports and setting the printer to be the dmz but that failed. I am annoyed because I can do it from a PC but not from a MAC.
The issue of printing over the net is secondary. If I could just get the printer to work with IPP over the LAN than getting it to work over the net would be a piece of cake.
I think the issue is that CUPS+IPP+C2000 are not working tgether. When I set the IPP to the LAN address of the printer and try and print smt, the console log informs me that the printer cannot be found on that address.

Please Please Please someone out there must know how to do this....

Duncs

You say you've set this up from a PC? Using IPP? Is there a Driver/autosetup software for the PC then?
Macs use the same protocols as PCs - the info in Printer Setup is just more organized and we don't have the autosetup software. On the PC, go to Printers & Faxes > highlight a C2000 > right-click and select Printer Properties. Under the ports tab, find the port for C2000, highlight and click on Configure port to see the setup info, either the URI (http://192.xxxx:631.etc) or queue name for LPR or port number for "raw" (=HP Jetdirect protocol on OS X).

I can't be sure, because I didn't read any documentation for the ethernet card in your printers, but I think if you want to use an Epson driver, you need to Add the printer using "Epson TCP/IP." Or maybe there's a choice "Epson IPP?"

Back