Ethernet accross my house

smithy

designer.
Hi,

Well i dont think this is actually networking but i think this is the only place i could ask this question. What i want to do is basically have cable internet in another room that is quite far away but under the same roof. I know i could go wireless and install a airport extreme card into my mac but i sorta can't afford that and the air tunes wireless thingy.

What i was thinking about doing was buying a extra extra extra long ethernet cable because isnt those blue cables they use for networking ethernet or something (sorry i dont really know alot about this networking technical stuf) then buying 2 ethernet outlits that are like power points that go into the wall. And running the ethernet cable accross up in the roof and then down the wall into the room.

Knowing my luck this probly cant be done and the blue cables they use for networking arent ethernet cables but yeah i hope so !!

Also does anyone know where i could buy some long ethernet cables in Queensland, Australia.. I was thinking about computer stores like The disc Shop or Gamer dude ( or somewhere else ??)

Anyways thanks in advance !!!! :)

smithy

Sure can be done that way.
Do a search for ethernet cables. You can find some pretty good prices in the US, probably over there also.

Very easy to do, when we built our house we had the ethernet built in so that the living room and all of the bedrooms had outlets.

not only can it be done, but in my opinion that is a better way to do it for desktop computers. there is a solid connection so you don't have to worry about someone else hacking into your wireless setup. also if you get another computer you could have faster sharing between them over the cable(100mb/s for your emac) vs the airport (54mb/s for your emac). you also would not have to worry about a neighbor having an interferring wireless network either. it should save you quite a bit of money too.

The limit for twisted-pair-ethernet cables is 100 meters. You can choose the color if you don't like the default grey - few extra bucks.
If that is not enough to wrap your network around your house, you could as well afford some wireless toys.
SCNR :D

Buy bulk cable and hook the outlets up that way. It'll save you $$$'s and it's not very hard to do. Just make sure you keep the order of the wires correct on each outlet.

The hardest part is going to be getting the cable in the walls. What kind of house (two story, ranch, etc.) is it? Do you have access to the attic and basement (or crawl space)?

Another way to do it, just hide the cable along the baseboards. I just did that for my cousin at his apartment. We wound up buying a 50' pre-built cable from Radio Shack for $30 due to time constraints and sheer laziness. It's hidden completely, just takes a bit of creativeness.

Awesome thanks everyone, is these ethernet cables ? http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreInfo.cgi?cat=NTC-CAB-RJ50M&page=network-cable
Well i hope they are ! :) or is that, that lan cable that plugs into your main board on a pc ??

The house is a 2 story house and the actual living area is all on one level, so basically it wont be that hard basically its accross the roof and down into another room. I think i might end up putting more than only 2 outlits in the house. My idea was to put one right next to the cable outlit (we have 3, but only on one or maybe all three) and then drop it into another room via the roof. Basically getting it down the walls wont be hard, because my dad and i have both done wired stuff in the walls.

I think 50m of cable should do, and will allow me to do more stuff for more expansion. Oh and also the other day i was at the bank and they had an industrial bin because they were renovating the building. It had heaps and heaps probly 100 metres of blue cable in there, i don't know whether it was networking cable and i didnt count how many wires was in there, but if thats the stuff i need im soooo going back ! :D

Thanks again !

Which one, the stuff in the industrial bin or the stuff that was on the site i gave a link too.

haahah what a coincidence if the stuff in that bin is what i need !! thanks for the quick reply bobw :)

The link has the correct cables, and from your description, the stuff in the bin may be the same. Check the cable ends and see if they look like what you see in the link you provided.

I've seen CAT5 cables as low as $4.00 for a 50ft length here.
Dealmac has deals, and cables show up there from time to time, for next to nothing.

Um. it may not be an issue for ya, but if you use Cat5E (as opposed to Cat5) you can go up to 320Meters in a single run. Not sure what the limit is for Cat6..

Go to your local Home Depot and you can pickup a 500' roll of CAT5 cable for $40. They also have the required connectors (RJ45) should you need to make patch cables. The crimpers can be bought for $8 to $10. You can also get 'modularized' wall plates that'll allow you to use an existing phone jack location. Most have two or three modules that are interchangeable for RJ45 (ethernet), RJ25 (telephone), cable/TV coax, etc.

RJ-25 (telephone) Module

RJ-45 (ethernet/lan) Module

2 Port Wall Plate

4 Port Wall Plate

You can find similar adapters and plates linked above at Home Depot; that's where I got mine; but they didn't have anything in their online shop.

TigerDirect has a 500' roll for $55. CAT5e costs around $120 for a 500' roll at TigerDirect. Given what you described, you shouldn't have the need for CAT5e.

Thanks mdnky, but now im confused.

If i get 2x2 Port wall plate, are the things that like you plug the ethernet cable into - come with it ? Are they called snap in couplers or something like that ?

I will only need 30m's of cable, and the pc geek shop down the road has 30metres for $30(aud). But really im confused about the wall plates, and basically if i get those wall plates what else do i need.

One more thing :D - those blue network cables there exactly the same as ethernet hey ? So if i get 2x1m cables for like $3 each, will they plug into the ethernet port on my mac and pc ?

Thankyou sooo much everyone for your help once again ! I really really really apprieciate it !

Oh sorry just one more thing !!! :eek:

Ive attatched a quick plan i made and basically it shows you exactly what i want to do. But what i was wondering is, if the pc has windows xp since the mac and the pc will be connected on the same line does that meen it will allow file sharing. I know this is like basically a whole new thread and if i want an answer to it i should just go look around this section of the forum, but will it work like that ?

Even though i can just transfer files via the internet or usb but i was just wondering. As it is ive got 10gb of download to use up for the internet so i guess it doesnt really matter either way.

Thanks sooo much again everyone ! :)

Attachments

• plan.gif
    plan.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 9
I have a question similar to this thread. I think having Ethernet ports in the home is really cool and saves a lot of trouble and unglues with wires all over the place but I wonder if anyone knows what the "next" Ethernet will be. What I mean is, what will be taking it's place in the up coming years? Is installing ports a to big of investment since something else might become the new standard in a few years?

I guess if they bring out something new that will replace ethernet, they would have to have an adapter. As it is obviosly many high speed modems are ethernet and not usb, so there is a ethernet to usb adapter. So i dont think it will be such a big problem in a sense ...

Back