Eudora and SMTP send-mail issues

moonunit

Registered
Hello all,
I'm struggling with a program specific problem relating to email client Eudora 6.2.3 on OSX 10.3...Here's an outline...

I travel a lot. When all there was dial-up I had a roaming dial-up service and everything was good. But now, with ADSL more readily available I'm hitting the frequent problem of being unable to send email. If I can get the local SMTP server address, I'm fine - but often people don't know their SMTP server address or they even insist that there isn't one - and I'm scuppered - unable to send email but receiving it fine.

My roaming dial-up service has an SMTP relay address, but this doesn't work over ADSL.

I know that anybody using Outlook or Mac.Com doesn't suffer the same problem and it's beginning to look like the only sure way of getting rid of this problem is to give up the Eudora client.

There are global SMTP relay services out there, but one of them expects me to configure a new personality to use when I need it. I know from experience that an alternate personality is a pain - I just want to applescript a settings change according to location...

So the question is, can I overcome this problem? Is this settings more than SMTP address? Is it possible to sniff the SMTP address via the web? Can life be made more simple?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, please.

Tim

This is why God gave Man webmail. A growing fraction of ISPs allow you to send mail only through their SMTP server. It is a security measure in a world inundated with spam. BTW, I have no idea where you got your ideas about mac.com. mac.com suffers the same SMTP restrictions as any other SMTP server. My ISP does not allow it. Any .mac mail that I send has to go through my ISP's SMTP server. At work, we have an Exchange server. If I want to send email at work from my home account, I have to use my ISP's webmail facility.

Does your ISP at home allow SMTP user authentication? I know some ISPs block traffic on port 25, but some ISPs will allow authentication on alternate ports.

MisterMe said:
This is why God gave Man webmail. A growing fraction of ISPs allow you to send mail only through their SMTP server. It is a security measure in a world inundated with spam. BTW, I have no idea where you got your ideas about mac.com. mac.com suffers the same SMTP restrictions as any other SMTP server. My ISP does not allow it. Any .mac mail that I send has to go through my ISP's SMTP server. At work, we have an Exchange server. If I want to send email at work from my home account, I have to use my ISP's webmail facility.

Webmail is a solution but not the answer.
I have sat beside people using mac.com and Outlook and they've got through where I can't - that's where I 'got my idea'.
Global Relay is now available as a purchaseable service; check these out
http://www.gosmtp.com/gosmtp/
http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/service.html
GoSMTP says that if port 25 is blocked you can switch to 2525. However I just can't see how this would work - maybe I'll have to sign up to see.

Back