Eudora discontinued

chouhy

Registered
I've been using Eudora since 1991. I am very much used to its searching capabilities and the mailbox organization. Now is discontinued. They say they are going to evolve to a new software (Penelope) very close to Thunderbird.
I do not like Thunderbird.
I am considering switching to Mail. These are my questions:

a) Is possible to export/import all my Eudora Data to mail?
b) Eventually, can I export all data from Eudora (messages text, recipients and senders and attachments to a FileMaker Pro database?
c) Do the same with the Mail data so I can have a consolidated database in FileMaker Pro?
d) any other suggestion?

Yes, you can import to Mail. You should create Accounts first. That is enter your information about your email accounts. The first time you start up Mail, you will be prompted for that.

To import:
Open Mail, choose Import Mailboxes from the File menu, and follow the instructions that appear.

Here is a link that explains how to import your addresses:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25330

FileMaker Pro has a quick help site for importing here:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/MacTOC12.html

True the basic Mail search field doesn't handle the complexity of date ranges, so far as I know, and Mail doesn't have a labeling system like Eudora. For the latter, you might want to take a look at MailTags.

If your date range searches are more frequent, Mail will handle them fine via Smart Mailboxes, where date range is among the criteria you can use to create a mailbox. Otherwise, if you're searching Entire Message, you can combine search queries associated with all message fields (subjects, senders, message bodies, etc.) and quickly find what you seek.

Further, according to Mail Help (having searched for logic), when you search entire messages, you can refine your search by using logical symbols to represent "and" (&), "or" ( | ), "not" ( ! ), and parentheses. For example:

"cat & dog" finds messages containing both "cat" and "dog"

"cat | dog" finds messages containing either "cat" or "dog"

"cat ! dog" finds messages containing "cat" but not "dog"

"cat & (dog | newt)" finds messages containing both "cat" and "dog" and

messages containing both "cat" and "newt"

Yes - it is possible, but is it necessary?

I am also a long time Eudora user and I like it a lot. I have tried to use Mail.app, but prefer the clean lines of Eudora without icons and tool bars. And the personality management is far superior to Mail.

Just because it is discontinued doesn't mean you have to throw it away. As my pappy used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Yes - it is possible, but is it necessary?

I am also a long time Eudora user and I like it a lot. I have tried to use Mail.app, but prefer the clean lines of Eudora without icons and tool bars. And the personality management is far superior to Mail.

Just because it is discontinued doesn't mean you have to throw it away. As my pappy used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Very good point !

I'd just like to clarify something. Where does it say that Eudora has been discontinued? If this is true, it is certainly a shame.

When I had a look at the Eudora web site, I found the following:

http://www.eudora.com/betas/Looking_for_Mac_Eudora_7.html
Dear Mac Eudora user,

Our apologies for the longer than expected delay in the release of Eudora 7 for Mac. We are reworking Eudora to make the most of Apple's MacOSX Tiger environment, and are incorporating the new features of SpotLight and WebKit HTML display/authoring.

The plan for Universal Binary is also on the agenda for the Mac Eudora 7 release. However, Eudora's current performance is as good on the Intel-based Macs as on Power PC based Macs.

The Eudora version 6.2.4 for Mac download is a minor update that we are able to provide without impact to the development of version 7. We ask for your patience while we reconstruct Eudora for today's Macs. We know you will be very pleased with the results.

Thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

The Eudora Team

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=24283&postcount=44 (Admittedly a year old...)
I spoke to Eudora Sales yesterday. They told me 6.2.4 (or they may just call it 6.3) will be out this month. At that time, they will give more details on when Eudora 7 will see the light of day. She did say that 7’s still in development (not abandoned) and will get released, just she can’t give a time frame at this point.

CVB

I'm hoping the development of Eudora for the Mac (although rather delayed at best...) would continue, but let me know if you've seen something different.

I'd just like to clarify something. Where does it say that Eudora has been discontinued? If this is true, it is certainly a shame.

The OP is not new news, but it is additional news. In October 2006, Qualcomm announced that it would collaborate with the Mozilla Foundation to develop the next version of Eudora. The new Eudora will be an open source mail client using Thunderbird technology. Eudora posted a list of FAQ's to explain the move.

The OP is not new news, but it is additional news. In October 2006, Qualcomm announced that it would collaborate with the Mozilla Foundation to develop the next version of Eudora. The new Eudora will be an open source mail client using Thunderbird technology. Eudora posted a list of FAQ's to explain the move.
OK, thanks.

It's a bit confusing that they left the notice about Eudora 7 for OS X on the site, then. It's actually the top hit when using the search facility with the keywords: "Eudora 7 Mac."

Anyway, "watch this space," I guess!

I've been using Eudora since 1991. I am very much used to its searching capabilities and the mailbox organization. Now is discontinued. They say they are going to evolve to a new software (Penelope) very close to Thunderbird.
I do not like Thunderbird.
I am considering switching to Mail.

Might want to take a look at this all new rewrite of Eudora that will work on Leopard.

The people in the forum will get to beta test it.

It looks to me to be a great replacement that will be a near perfect classic Eudora feel.

http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/forums/

My Eudora dies every time now since the last software update.

So I am really looking forward to it since the previews appear to look great.

I really HATE that Apple Mail in both looks & feel and the entire interface, so I am really looking forward to this new revision of Eudora.

That’s nice but if no one will do anything with it, it becomes useless. That new rewrite looks to be the best alternative that I have been able to find

I copied Eudora 6.2.4 from my G4 Quicksilver with 10.4.11 to my new MacMini running 10.5.2 and it all seems to be working OK as before....

I use 10.4.11 and it works fine. It is only after going to Leopard that it breaks. It occasionally works if the mail SOUNDS are off but it still messes up enough to be unreliable.

I am also tryin g that open source version that is now called PENELOPE

This is based basically on THUNDERBIRD and is no where near which I expect from the new entire rewrite that I will be beta testing soon

More Info:

http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/forums/

as to using with Leopard - I read somewhere that the proprietary - Eudora - sounds are the thing that make it crash. You can turn them off in the settings menu. I will look for the source that said that and post back.

Back