Ever Seen A Screen Crash Like This?

antonioconte

Registered
I'm running the latest jag, just updated after completely wiping my HD and starting over again. SHock to find my G4 titanium 500mhz laptop is now starting to crash again. Was using internet explorer on ebay.com! ? The screen wipes from top to bottom somthing that resembles a dark cloud wipte, then a message stating I need to keep the power button down for sveral seconds.

Now what's started to happen is that if I go to either ABOUT THIS COMPUTER, RESTART OR SHUTDOWN, it would, the spinning disk started spinning, then it turns to a pointer, then the pointer disapears, then the whole screen refershes and the dock reappears, bit like a log out type of thing?? I have no other users set up by the way.

take a look: http://www.pigdoguk.com/error.jpg

Any ideas?

:confused: :confused:

meet kernel panic. do a search of this site for 'kernel panic' to learn more. basically this is the os x version of the old bomb message.

I'd suggest you back up your data (if you still have any), run Techtools and try to fix any problems, then re-wipe your hard drive and reinstall the system. Make sure your installer isn't corrupted too.

arden - are a recent convert from the windows or linux world? i ask, because reinstalling every time you run across a kernel panic is mostly a waste of time. the problem usually has more to do with hardware than software. plus, as you mentioned TTP, macs have lots of good utilities for repairing minor problems. complete reinstalls are just not necessary. i'm still running off the same install of 10.0.4.

Originally posted by edX
arden - are a recent convert from the windows or linux world?
Are you completely mad? :) I have been using Macs since the IIsi (main computer up until 1998, incidentally...)

I'm simply new to Mac OS X, and I don't know much about kernel panics. I haven't actually been able to troubleshoot one. I'd think if I'd come from Linux, I would actually know more about them than I do.

I found reinstalling to be more helpful in the long run. I simply preserve my user accounts, drag a few things out of the old system folder, then wipe the old system folder. Sometimes trying to fix things just doesn't work.

I have installed the 'X again only once - and it was not because of kernel panics, but because MacGIMP and X86 were giving me major problems, I jsut wanted to get rid of those. I prefer clean installs - so one kernel panic is sure not making me to install it all again. Maybe if it happened once a week.

i've been having the same problems since the second i updated.
does anyone no how to go back to 10.23. im getting real tired of the kernal panics. thanks

I had a ton of kernel panics in one week. I tried to reinstall jaguar like 10 times and when I was in the process of reinstalling, I would have a kernel panic. The guy at the apple store told me that most kernel panics were caused by hardware issues. I would say that if you are getting kernel panics often then it is probably a hardware issue.

I've posted my problems with these kernel panics in another thread. But i'm having more than kernel panics on a iMac 17inch. The comptuer slows down after being up for a day. Many of the apps lag, especially iTunes. The only fix i've found is a reboot. Sometimes rebooting or logging out will just sit there for hours while the little sun spins around, forcing me to manually reboot.

Anyone else seeing this. I'm doing a reinstall and upgrade to 10.2.3 as I type. I have all the other problems minus the kernel panics on my Dual Processor G4. 10.2.4 is the worse update I've ever seen (I think)

I read something on hp's website about the computer slowing down after just a few minutes. and I think kernel panics was also a problem. If you have a HP printer there was an issue with the driver. I think there was a fix on hp's site.

My computer's uptime is 4 days now and since i reinstalled, no problems, everything runs well under 10.2.4 for me now. I'm tring not to restart, but I really need to burn a CD, but i want to see if I can keep it up for the rest of this month, so I'm not sure how this will play out.

HI all,

Originally posted by edX
arden - are a recent convert from the windows or linux world? i ask, because reinstalling every time you run across a kernel panic is mostly a waste of time. the problem usually has more to do with hardware than software.

from Linux perspective Kernel Panic means hardware or kernel error, Segmentation Fault means application or hardare error.
So if you have many Kernel Panic and you are sure that your hardware is good than change the kernel (or wait for the update or recompile your kernel).

bye,
see you later_

Guys,

Ok I talked to Apple Care again today. The guy I talked to today asked me about my external devices. When i told him I had a Kensington mouse he went "AH HA!" He noted that he has found Kensington devices to cause kernel panics in the recent builds of OS 10.

Do any of you have Kensington mice? Please post if you do and you are having kernel panics. I actually have the same kensington on three different compters, G4 DP 1GHZ, iMac 17" and a Snow iMac. However, only the iMac 17" is having kernel panics, although the DP G4 is having other slowdown problems as I've mentioned before. He suggested the Kensington might be the problem with it too.

Comments, ideas?

I have the original hockey puck mouse and keyboard, and when i log into single user mode, I get invalid keyboard and mouse. I didn't see that till 10.2, just thought i'd add that.

Back