everything opens in classic

macidiot

Registered
Ok, here's my problem... I don't know if it has been posted before, if so I am sorry, anyway when I open things such as jpg's and text files that could be opened in X, it always wants to start classic. I don't want to use classic unless I absoultely have to. Is there anywhere that you can change what you open files with? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

To change the application an item opens in all you have to do is a 'Get Info' on the item and then select 'Application' from the pulldown menu and add the program you want it to open in. A nice little trick with os X.... if you have say 20 images and you wanna change all their applications at once, highlight them all and then do a get info. It will do them all at once!

you probably have to strip their creator codes. use SetFile at /Developer/Tools or one of the GUI apps on VersionTracker.

SetFile usage would be SetFile -c '????' (filename)

My problem is that the "Change Application..." button is always (well, often) grayed out in the Get Info box. Is there a way to set an application for all files with a given file extension? This is the kind of thing that should be really easy, but I can't find it.

yeah, I was thinking of the same thing ass Jeffg, I have a lot of files with the same extension, and using the get info just doesn't sound practical....

it would help i you told us what program the files were created in and their extention, plus what kind they are, i have no such problan as you have described above, but i know that things created in classic applications willl open in classic.

I've figured out that the problem I was having is that if there is a creator code, it will use that to select the applicatoin, and the "Change Application..." button will be grayed out in the Get Info dialog. When I remove the creator information via SetFile, it seems to use the file extension, and the "Change Application..." button works again.

So the question is, is there some way to change the creator => application mapping? Removing the creator seems like a hack that should be unnecessary.

So the question is, is there some way to change the creator => application mapping? Removing the creator seems like a hack that should be unnecessary.

Change the creator code. Creators take precedence over file extensions.

I understand that part. My question was whether or not there's a way to edit the creator-code => application mapping (i.e., change the application that gets opened for a given creator code). I seem to remember this being possible in OS9 (I forget how), and I haven't figured out how to do it on OSX. I realize that it's not something to be done lightly, but it's occasionally just what you want.

Originally posted by vic
it would help i you told us what program the files were created in and their extention, plus what kind they are, i have no such problan as you have described above, but i know that things created in classic applications willl open in classic.

Here is a good example, Most of my files with the problem are jpegs, but yesterday I hilighted some text in IE, drug it to to the desktop to make a text clipping, in OS X, and when I double clicked it, it opened in classic. I know that it can open in textedit, but it automatically opened in classic. a lot of my files do that, it is like they would rather open in classic than in X.

I tried both the SetFile method and using the ironically also OS 9 version of FileTyper. But in either case the change for the app to launch a file is for that file only. In this case it is a text file who the creator specified to use SimpleText (OS 9) unless a specific file has its creator hacked.

As one of the guys asked, is there no way to just say ALL plain text files must be opened by the OS X TextEdit and not OS 9 SimpleText, regardless of what the creator had intended? No way?

Thanks,
G

Back