Everything the iPhone Can't Do, Let's Talk!

It's not as cool and up to date as the Japanese and Korean phones are.

It does not have a 10 mpi camera with 12 x optical zoom or a tripod.

It does not run linux ... tadaa! the *x nerd in me wants a Neo 1973 as that has openmoko and can run linux :D

It's not as cool and up to date as the Japanese and Korean phones are.

It does not have a 10 mpi camera with 12 x optical zoom or a tripod.

It does not run linux ... tadaa! the *x nerd in me wants a Neo 1973 as that has openmoko and can run linux :D

The features of the current Neo1973 (which is only for developers) pale in comparison to the iPhone, but I do hope that the consumer-based version that's slated for later this year will have more features.

I'm consulting at a competing cell phone maker, so I usually keep my iPhone (Edge) out of sight. It's been fun to compare the competing devices, but today I found something for my iPhone that made me fall in love with it all over again.

Since upgrading to software v2, I just today took the time to look at the available Apps in the App store. The one that I love is Remote.

I can now sit my ass on the couch, and control iTunes (3 rooms away) and make it stream music to my AppleTV as well as the stereo in the bedroom connected to an AirTunes.

And controlling my Mac's iTunes on the phone is way slicker than using that stupid little white remote that comes with the AppleTV. And as a bonus I can play streaming radio without walking to my Mac.

Now have no need to have music stored locally on my AppleTV, so I'm using it just for my Photo albums... It's syncing my 15,000 photos all the way back to 1975 as I type this.

So I never thought to ask for my iPhone to be a Remote, but clearly that's one thing it could not do that now it can!

YAY!

:-D

The iPhone/iPod Touch is/has become similar in useability for convenience and hackable as the Hewlett-Packard HP 48 calculator. The HP 48 could be used as personal information manager - it had a contact list and appointment calendar with alarms. It also used both a serial and infra red ports for communication. Someone wrote a program to use it as a television remote control. This hand held device was made as early as 1987! I still use mine today - these calculators were always over-engineered, they last a life time and are fairly difficult to break with normal usage.

It's nice to this kind of programming on the iPod Touch/iPhone with different apps from the App Store, and everything is either wireless or serial. I really would like an HP 48 emulator for my iPod Touch or an RPN scientific calculator - was kinda hoping Apple would follow through with that for us scientists, however, the scientific calculator in the new 2.0 software is useable and nice.

Back