Evil DVD Upgrade!

theed

Registered
So I used to be able to make my second monitor (PCI ATI Xclaim VR 128) into my primary monitor, then launch DVD player, and play DVD's simulcast to the TV in the living room. (I have a cable amp and lots of cable for this. This is how my son and I watch DVD's)

After the "Upgrade" this evening, I can't. DVD Player states that this configuration is not supported, and gives me a window with only a quit button.

It works in 9, in 9 I can drag the DVD player between displays. It used to work in X, diplaying on whichever monitor had the menu bar. Now I can only play on my AGP Radeon! WTF! I'm yelling at Apple after this, but in case this is intentional reduction of features for copyrigth security or some crap, I thought I'd warn the public too.

Yup. MacFixit.com reported these problems too. It seems that Mac OS X doesn't like multiple display cards anymore. :(

Hopefully we'll see a fix in the near future...

Originally posted by tismey
It does, however, work if you switch video mirroring on....

or reduce the color depth/resolution so that you don't run out of video RAM.

You get the funny message (unsupported configuration) otherwise. It could be more informative (e.g. insufficient video memory: reduce color depth) instead.

Back