Excel and Word take ages to load

dantilly

Daniel Tilly
Every time i start up either programs they take about 3 - 5 mins to load. Anyone had a similiar problem??? How do i fix???

did you make any huge adjustments? If not, simply delete the plist files in your Library/Preferences folder. Also repair your permissions

Another thing to try -- if that doesn't work is to create a new user and try to launch the app... what that will tell you is if the problem exists within your user folder, or if it's something occurring outside of your user's folder.

I usually have a "test" account that I can toggle to for checking such things.

what is 'plist' and where is it????? i have run a file search on 'plist' and there are thousands of them. which to delete

com.microsoft.Excel.plist
com.microsoft.Word.plist

user>library>preferences

Because if that turns out to NOT be the problem (unlikely, but...) then he can have all his old settings back.
I don't know, that's just how I do it :(

:) if it's okay for one user, i guess it hasn't got anything to do with RAM or, *cough*, VPC. ;-)
So, what's the verdict? Was it the plist-files (preferences)?

If you said it worked better under another user, perhaps just shift everything over to the new user account.

There's a Microsoft folder in the User>Library>Preferences. Drag that to your desktop, restart the machine and see if that makes a difference.

The other thing I just thought of regarding this issue... would be font related...

If you've installed new fonts in your user's font folder (/users/yourname/library/fonts) I would suggest removing them and seeing if that helps.

That is one of the things the program is doing at startup. So if there's an incompatible font that Word / Excel / etc can't load, it might take a few seconds for it to time out before moving on to the next font to load.

This has actually happened to me. I had to remove all my fonts, and systematically reload one at a time to see which font was causing the problem.

This would also explain why creating a new user has solved the problem and deleting the prefs has not.

Just take the fonts folder out of the bad user folder that's the problem, and replace it with the one from the user that works ok. A quick way of checking rather than each font individually. Leave it on the Desktop. If that's the problem, add one font at a time.

I have deleted all the fonts and put them in a folder on the desktop. Restarted the comp and still having the same problem. Microsoft don't you love them.

Am I wrong, or did your office x work fine on another account? If so, you should move your data to that account. This will be the easiest thing, I believe.

Back