.exe files 'n stuff..

RevoX

Registered
I got an iBook G4 and to open any file like .exe files I always have to choose a program to open it with, what do I do?

Also, what player should I download to play .wmv files?

You can't launch .exe files in anything other than Windows. Windows and other operating systems are not binary compatible. See about downloading the OS X versions ofthe applications you need if this is possible.

What you can do with the .exe files is run them using something like Darwine, but don't expect it to be fast if it does work.

As for .wmv files, see about downloading Flip4Mac so that you may view them in QuickTime. There's a link for the free player on the right of the page.

I tried downloading the thing for QuickTime but it's a .dmg file and I can't open it. Now i'm gonna try Darwine.

EDIT: Darwine also seems to be a .dmg file.

.dmg are the files you need for a Mac. Sounds as if you have something wrong with the system software.

Most Mac OS X files that are downloaded over the Internet are compressed into disk images, hence the .dmg at the end (sometimes they'll even be gzipped and you'll notice the .dmg.gz at the end as well). Once you double click it, the file will turn into a disk image on your desktop. In there, you'll see the applications along with instructions on how to install. Usually it's just a straight copy over to the Applications folder on your hard drive. Sometimes it will be an installer.

You never mentioned what version of OS X you're running. Some modern DMG files are not compatible with anything below 10.2 or 10.3.

Back