.exe from camera

FallOutBoyx530

Registered
Hello, I was wondering if its possible or if anybody know how to run small programs of windows .exe because I have a digital camera for windows and the only way for me to retrieve the pictures is the program within the camera of which is .exe

I've tried DOSbox but I do not understand it myself which is why I am here to ask for help.

Thanks, FallOut

Firstly I cannot understand why you would need an .exe program to view your picture files. If you are talking about the install disk you got with your camera, and your camera connects via USB, then the install disk is NOT necessary to view your files.

Without the install disc, your camera would show up as an extra drive on a windows machine,(via my computer) and an extra drive on a Mac (via finder).

In any case, you are much better investing in a card reader (make sure it is compatible with your camera card) - as these are very cheap and will save the battery on your camera. One that can read 9 different types of card are only around a tenner to buy.

Just plug it into the mac and it will show up as different drives in finder.

That's only true if it's not one of those cameras that do _not_ listen to the USB standard of being an external file system. And some do - and need a Windows driver, which of course doesn't run on the Mac.

Only the really old digital cameras which have inbuilt memory can be like that. ;)

If the camera has external memory, a card reader is still the better option. :)

Yes, of course, I didn't answer to that part of your message. ;) ... But I just _guess_ that a camera that uses an .exe file _on_ the camera only has internal memory. (And there still are some of those in the market, sadly...)

Yeah and very sadly I happen to have one...which is why I need help getting it out of my camera heh...so...so far I'm getting virtual PC other wise any other suggestions?

FallOutBoyx530 said:
Yeah and very sadly I happen to have one...which is why I need help getting it out of my camera heh...so...so far I'm getting virtual PC other wise any other suggestions?
Virtual PC is probably the only decent suggestion you're going to get. There isn't much else around.

FallOutBoyx530 said:
Unfortunately if the camera is connected via USB it is very unlikely VPC would work. VPC connectivity to USB devices other than the keyboard is very limited at best. The option that is more likely to work is to check the want ads or ebay for a really cheap used PC. Of course a new camera could easily be less expensive than either VPC or a used PC.

What make and model is the camera - it may be possible to get the photos off it without using the .exe - there may be another program that can deal with it...

perfessor101 said:
Unfortunately if the camera is connected via USB it is very unlikely VPC would work. VPC connectivity to USB devices other than the keyboard is very limited at best. The option that is more likely to work is to check the want ads or ebay for a really cheap used PC. Of course a new camera could easily be less expensive than either VPC or a used PC.

I do not believe this statement. USB works quite well for me in VirtualPC 7.0.2 in "Tiger". No problems at all.

why has noone suggested iPhoto? plug in any camera and tell iphoto to use it. it just grabs all the images off it. simple.

Lt Major Burns said:
why has noone suggested iPhoto? plug in any camera and tell iphoto to use it. it just grabs all the images off it. simple.

Because the OP's question suggests that the camera does not provide a standard USB interface. Therefor they need to interface to it with a windows only driver.

if it isn't usb, then how is he plugging it into his mac in the first place? also pre-usb cameras were few and far between, and even some first-gen digicams had usb as standard.

this sounds to me like a zebra.

No it is USB as I understand it. The problem is that the device does not present a standard USB disk interface. For instance my HP does just that when you plug it in it looks like any standard USB disk. However, that requires putting the USB disk info into the camera. They can cheat and just make it a vendor specific device and then write their own software to handle it. The result is a non-standard USB device that is only windows compatible. Almost all of the ultra cheap cameras are lake this, I was looking to get a $50 camera for my kids to play with but none of them were mac compatible.

Well My camera is a Emprex Ultra Slim Digital Camera...It so happens that I installed iPhoto and it is my first time using it...but when i opened iphoto and plugged in my camera...nothing happen

If you can't get a driver from the manufacturer or a 3rd party, then your best option is to eBay (or sell by other means) the camera and buy something else. If you do that, stick with a good quality brand like Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony, etc..

Back