Expand the emac class.

Convert

Tech
This is all my opinion.

I think there should be a 3rd class in the whole variety of Apple Products.

Professional, Consumer, Lower Consumer. Not in those names though.

Apple's always been a smart, innovative, and somewhat intelligent corporation. And products made by corporations are rarely cheap. It's not a rule, it just happens too much to go about unnoticed. Microsoft and Apple are arguably the biggest rivals in the computing world, Linux is in too many variations to be considered as one single rival.

If Apple listens to it's customers then Steve Jobs and Co will already be looking at ways to cut the pricing of the products. I know they are clever people and I would be intrigued to see how they cut the prices of Macs, if they have realised that there is a need to do so. What I suggest is bringing out a new range of Macs.

The eMac, pictured above, on the left, is considered as the consumer Macintosh. It's cheap, and still as effective at 'consumer tasks' as any other Mac. But is it enough? Apple has countless numbers of Professionals and Businesses swarming to buy Macs, but what about the consumers? Maybe they don't want a desktop, or a machine that can't be upgraded?

Apple should re-release the iMac G4, as part of the 'e' line in Macintosh. It could be cheaper, and could offer the upgrades, and looks, users want. It would have to be lower specs of course, or else iMac users would be annoyed. But it would make sense.

A third notebook would be more than welcome in the Apple family. I have a powerbook which I love, Apple makes fantastic portable computers. A cheaper version of the iBook would be brilliant, hell, they could call it the eBook if they wanted. But, maybe cutting the CD drive, and offering a cheap external CD drive, would help. This would lower the cost of the laptop altogether, and size.

My final and perhaps far fetched idea would be the ePod. Yes, laugh all you want, but I think it would be good. Maybe based on Flash memory, or a small 5GB Hard Disk, the ePod would be for education (hence the 'e'), and would provide students with various helping tools, such as a calculator, simple word processor, Plug and play storage unit, so there's no more excuses for forgetting homework, and of course, just a little space for music. If it was cheaper, or Apple got this running on it's Education Campaign, I think it would be successful.

So there you have it, Apple, make the eMac the start of a new class. The Consumer Class, not 'budget'. The eMac, iMac G4, eBook and ePod. I think it would work.

Your BOLD title made me move the piece to 'opinion' ;) ... On topic: I think Apple should _not_ further diffuse their product grid.

Of course, if Apple released an "eBook" with no CD drive or whatnot, there would be no end to the bitching and moaning that it's missing a CD drive...

Back