Expanding .hqx files?

dcoon81

Registered
I have downloaded a printer driver off of the lexmark website for my printer, however, when the file tries to expand using stuffit expander, it is telling me that the file was compressed with an unknow format. I called lexmark and they told me it was an OS X error. Does this sound right? I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem...if someone could try to expand the file that I am trying to expand and let me know if it is working for them. Here is the link for the file that is giving me problems:

Lexmark 5150 Printer Driver

Is there anything that I can do to maybe fix this problem like re-installing some software?

Thanks in advance

Stuffit Expander should handle a .hqx file with aplomb.

Try getting the latest version of Stuffit Expander and give it another go...

I have the most up-to-date version of sutffit expander. This is very inconvienient, not being able to print with all this school work.

Installed fine on my G4 running Panther (10.3.2)

hqx.jpg

I downloaded the file and get the same results. I've tried Stuffit 701 and 802 and another program called Expander.

bobw said:
I downloaded the file and get the same results. I've tried Stuffit 701 and 802 and another program called Expander.

Same results as who? The little guy or me?..

Mmm .. odd.

I'm not running any exotic versions of anything.

All of my utility applications are as they came when I installed Panther.

I'm running Stuffit Expander 7.0.3 (Build 277)

The mystery continues...

May just be a bad file on the server at this time. I downloaded it 4 times and tried expanding it. If you have the file, and it's not too large expanded, maybe you could post it somewhere for dcoon.

bobw said:
May just be a bad file on the server at this time. I downloaded it 4 times and tried expanding it. If you have the file, and it's not too large expanded, maybe you could post it somewhere for dcoon.

Ye know, that's an excellent idea and I had the same one .. about three seconds after I deleted it. [duh!]

I could try again. Question is, where do I post it? I'd have to compress it again. I could just use normal .sit.

Hang on a minute or two...

Sometimes I get files that StuffIt Expander likes, but StuffIt doesn't like. Sometimes it's the other way around. I usually use Expander for .hqx and .bin files. Have you tried dragging and dropping the file directly onto the StuffIt Expander icon? Sometimes that'll work when StuffIt doesn't like the file.

I tried every way you can think of, Expander 7 and 8, the full versions 7 and 8.

I don't understand what was wrong with my computer and the file. Hey, octane, thanks a lot. It worked just fine with the file that you posted. I also want to thank everyone else. You peps are very helpful.

D

I doubt it was anything wrong with your computer. The file on their server is a bad file. I downloaded that file 4 different times, and had the same results with each file, using Stuffit 7 and 8 and Expander 7 and 8 and another freeware Expander program.

I'm not so sure that it was dud.

I downloaded it twice and worked straight away both times.

How do you explain that?

Anyway, odd by any measure...

Back