Expanding Partitions

apocalypselat3r

Registered
How do i expand the space on my windows partition, after i created it. i did a boneheaded thing; i only made 12 gbs, i thought all i wanted was counter strike source and maybe like...2 small apps. i was way wrong, BOOT CAMP IS SICK!! i want like 20 more. any idea how i can do this, and without causing and harm to my files on my windows partition etc.

I've been wondering the same thing. I have an idea but I don't know if it will work. If you can repartition in disk utility your mac partition so you have Mac Partition, then unpartitioned or fat32, and then your windows partition, then you can use partition Magic in windows to combine that new fat or unpartitioned space to your windows drive. Should try that. I'm in the same boat but I didn't even give myself enough space for CSS!

When I open the Boot Camp Assistant (I have latest Boot Camp) I get three options. Burn new CD, Start Windows installer, and Restore startup disk to single volume.

So that's a negative I believe. I'm going to do this:

Go into Disk Utility and make an image of the Windows drive.
Restore myself to one partition
Create a new and bigger one
Not run Windows installer
In Disk Utility Click the Windows drive
Click Restore
And try to Restore the image

Not sure if it will work but I don't see why not. I'm probably going to try it, but if anyone knows if it works for sure or doesn't work for sure... Please let me know. Especially if it doesn't work for sure.

I would like to know if this would work too, I have a 12gb xp paritiion and am forever running out of space.

Can someone confirm the best way to do this?

Thanks

So I removed my windows partition but bootcamp won't let me make a new one. I dunno what the deal with that is. It says I may want to repair my partition which I booted the OSX disk and ran the repair and it checked out. Still, I get this message. I dunno what that deal is. But I'll keep trying. I kept the image.

Yep, to make a new partition setup, you have to reformat the entire drive (though you can change format, etc, of the partitions)

Back