Exploding toads

Hey, I was just pointing out that it's a bit of a strange thing to find on a mac site. And I agree that it is a bit strange.

and this is the cafe, "...discuss whatever else is on your mind." (basically, this is the place to talk about non mac or non tech things)

Yeah, I saw the exploding toad story. Echh.

If they figure out how it's happening, they may be able to sell the secret to Australia.

From what I hear, cane toads (an imported species) are a huge problem there.

That's really a strange thing. We just can hope that this is a rare virus that disappear as fast as it arrived. And hopefully this doesn't infect other lifeforms as well.

I just got the ProMed Request For Information about this. But the text is more or less the same as on BBC as they used it as a source for this:

http://www.promedmail.org/pls/askus..._BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,28783

BTW: This is happening just 20 miles away from where I live.

It sounds like it's happening so quickly - and violently - I'd almost wonder if it isn't a chemical reaction rather than an infection. I'm sure somebody is already testing the pond for chemical contaminants.

They explode because the crows in the area are picking out their liver's to eat them(Yea, they have figured out how to do that), and the toad's defense mechansim to this is to puff up, naturally. But because their liver is missing and their blood vessels are all screwed up, they just keep on expanding until they explode!!!!!

EDIT: No chemicals or other negative-effecting things have been found in the water or habitat.

You are the second person I've heard mention this explanation, but still none of the news sites I've visited have mentioned it; only that the scientists are still 'baffled'.

EDIT: Right after I posted this, I found a site that mentioned this theory.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/28/AR2005042801638.html

...though they don't seem to imply that it's 'open and shut'.

And even if this explanation is right, I have to wonder -- how and why is it happening in that one park by that one pond and nowhere else in the world?

What a bizarre story!!!

Back