Exposé— choppy

Soho_Joe

Registered
Certain exposé features are fluent, while others aren't. Reveal all windows, for instance, is not nearly as smooth as reveal the desktop.

While on the topic of visual effects, does anybody find that the cube user transistion doesn't always work?

Are these to be corrected with future releases, or is this something that can't be fixed.

(For the record I'm using an 800 Mhz FP iMac w/ NVidia GeForce4 MX graphics card)

Problem solved. It turns out, having a second monitor attached (with extended desktop) really takes a toll on visual effects.

Exposé works fine without the second monitor. User switching however, still doesn't always work.

generally i find with fast user switching, if the person you are trying to switch to has a different # of colour set than you and/or a different resolution, it can cause the effect to fade instead of cube. Just my observation though, i think it may also have to do with your processor load...

The cube effect goes out of play at higher resolutions so as to not tax your system. It's got to calculate a lot of pixels to be transformed; at higher resolutions, this takes a toll, and it's simply easier to fade them.

So what languages is Exposé fluent in? ;)

i run at 1792x1344 at 16 bit and i always get the cube effect. i lost it once when the account i was switching to was using millions of colours. My comp is garbage (400 Mhz G4) but i got a Radeon 9000 in there for some serious Quartz Extreme.

A Radeon 9000, with 64 MB VRAM I presume, will certainly help a great deal.

Certainly. But Exposé doesn't look choppy on my iBook with 32 MB Radeon 7500 Mobility either, unless I hook up the 1280*1024 secondary screen, that is. So: The same requirements as for QuartzExtreme in Jaguar, I'd say. AGP & 32 MB VRAM. Depending on displays attached and screen resolution and bit depth.

Since I'm using two displays, the ASP says that my video memory is split in half to provide each screen with graphics.

When I unplug the second monitor, I have the full 32 MB running on one screen and Exposé works perfectly.

Well, that makes sense, you'd need 32 MB per monitor, minimum, to get good performance.

Back