Extensis Suitcase 10

It's very clean and well implemented on a MacOSX system level. The only real downfall at present is that it needs to be open if you want it's font sets to be on. (but this the only small niggle!)

I really like it and it's deffo been worth the wait.;)

(Though I did always prefer ATM Deluxe) :(

It works well. I've been using it since it was released this week. The cool thing is that fonts activated are acccessible in both Carbon, Cocoa, and Classic apps, which is quite nice.

As pointed out, the application needs to be open for fonts to remain activated. I was kind of surprised Extensis chose this route instead of a lower level System Preference item. It doesn't make much difference though, the application sets itself to launch at startup, and it's just another Icon in the dock. You can even hide it at launch.

Another nice feature is that you can activate your font sets through the Dock icon, much like you can in OS 9 through the Suitcase CSM modeule.

All in all, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. It'll get 5 stars when Extensis makes it a background application with a Menu item activation icon.

I used to be a ATM Deluxe supporter, so I was definitely disappointed when Adobe decided not to support it under OS X. However, Suitcase 10 for X is as better than the last ATM Deluxe iteration (4.6?).

Definitely worth the $99...

Sorry guys, but what are you talking about? I downloaded Suitcase for X one second after I read, that it is available. I think the interface's design is ok, but it is horrible to use. Why do they have a horizontal separator? Every publisher has so many fonts to use, but you can only use the half height of your screen to browse them. At least there should be an option in the prefs to switch that separator to a vertical one! So you have one big list for all your fonts to browse (like you had in ATM DLX). With these small lists it is almost impossible to set up your sets.
Although I used the default option to start the app after login, but this is always making problems, so I had to force-quit every time. And to leave suitcase open all the time to use the activated fonts is a thing that I did not had to do back in System 7. Come on Extensis, you are doing so smart apps, your new Suitcase for X should be way smarter!

Prahn

And to leave suitcase open all the time to use the activated fonts is a thing that I did not had to do back in System 7. Come on Extensis, you are doing so smart apps, your new Suitcase for X should be way smarter!

Actually, it was open all the time back in System 7 - OS 9. It's just that it was a System Extension patch that you never saw on the top level of application processes due to how the old Mac OS worked. You may think it was better, but I remember a time when just about EVERYTHING had a Extension conflict with Suitcase, and you just had to deal with your random crashes because it was the only font manager in the game.

With OS X, there is no way that Suitcase can mess up your system and cause that type of conflict. I would definitely like them to hide it better, possibly by making it a menuling and have it's process hidden. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do....

Back