External burner firewire not working

hndsmman

Creative Genius
I've been using my external burner for sometime now connecting to my G4 with the firewire. When I connected recently by firewire the computer does recognize or mount on the desktop like usual. When I tried the USB connection the burner is recognized and mounts fine. I repaired premissions and repaired the disk from the install disk I also reset the Pram, but nothing seems to help...???

Also it can't be a driver problem sause the USB connection is still working...? and the burner program I've been using is Toast Titanium. My burner is mad by Maddog Multimedia.

A few thoughts.

Check your Firewire cable is actually plugged in and properly seated in both your external device and on the Mac. Check the ports inside, are they clean?

Try an alternative cable. Try alternative disk media.

If you have a chain of Firewire devices the devices in the chain must be powered up between the particular external device and the Mac. An intervening unpowered FW device will cut the chain.

Is the cable too long? I think the cable/s max out at 2m.

Possibly Toast is having trouble communicating with the device. I found that it would drop a device sometimes then discover it again. Helps to have a 2nd burner to test this on.

Possibly your CD/DVD drive is having trouble reading your disks. This can be due to condensation or misting up of the heads, or even the heads being damaged. Although the fact that it works with USB seems to rule this out.

Devices do die, I've lost a few burners in my time. Take it to another computer and see if that also has a problem seeing your drive with FW.

It's possible that this could be a drive issue. Different drivers will be used for USB and FW interfaces. You might try reinstalling the driver. If you have recently installed a system update, this could have broken the driver. You may want to check out PatchBurn.

It's possible that this could be a drive issue. Different drivers will be used for USB and FW interfaces. You might try reinstalling the driver. If you have recently installed a system update, this could have broken the driver. You may want to check out PatchBurn.

That helped thank you very much!

The Maddog external drive seems to be no longer manufactured - drivers are hard to get if not impossible. I downloaded PatchBurn (and also changed to a USB cable instead of the FireWire) and it is now working. Thx to Eric2006

Back