external drive repair permission

scallawag

Registered
Hi I am running OS X 10.3.9

I have a Kanguru external drive (200Gb) that is not recognized by my 17" powerbook (it was working until last week).

I can see the drive in Disk Utility but cannot get any active "repair permissions" buttons.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

You can only repair disk permissions your root drive (ie the one running OsX).

The options to verify & repair disk (on the right) should be available to you.

'You can only repair disk permissions your root drive (ie the one running OsX).' - is an incorrect statement.

The current boot volume will only enable 'Disk Utility's 'First Aid' tab panel's 'Verify Disk Permissions', 'Repair Disk Permissions', and 'Verify Disk' buttons.

Any volume (other than the current boot volume) with a valid (bootable) MacOS X 'System' folder, will enable 'Disk Utility's 'First Aid' tab panel's 'Verify Disk Permissions', 'Repair Disk Permissions', 'Verify Disk', and 'Repair Disk' buttons; otherwise, only the 'Verify Disk' and 'Repair Disk' buttons will be enabled.

If a volume is partitioned - selecting the volume (within 'Disk Utility's 'First Aid tab's panel) itself will only enable the 'Verify Disk', and 'Repair Disk' buttons. Selecting an individual partition will enable the 'Verify Disk Permissions', 'Repair Disk Permissions', 'Verify Disk', and 'Repair Disk' buttons - if a valid (bootable) MacOS X 'System' folder exists; otherwise, only the 'Verify Disk' and 'Repair Disk' buttons will be enabled.

The above information is based on using MacOS X 10.4.4.

-----

Whether or not a volume is recognized, is not determined by 'Disk Permissions'.

Stating Kanguru drive is insufficient, considering the number of models produced - aSATA and USB, USB only, FireWire only, and also USB and FireWire.

Sorry.....

it is Kanguru Quicksilver 2.5 inch firewire drive (200Gb)

Neither 'Verify Disk', or 'Repair Disk' buttons are available, nor can I access the "mount" button at the top.

If I click the info tab, it says the disc is not ejectable but it is writable.

If I power up and connect the drive and then launch Disk Utility the system endlessly searches for the drives. If I disconnect the FW cable and wait for the system to recognize the internal hard drive and then reconnect the FW cable.....I can then see the Kanguru icon.

Help much appreciated

Back