External DVD driver support

jgem

Registered
I've just installed Tiger which is working just fine however when trying to open DVD player l get an error message "-70012 DVD player
not recognised". I have an e-mac and use a Lacie external DVD driver which was working very well on Panther. I've tried downloading Pacifist to install the dvd playback with no success.Any other ideas out there ???? :(

I have exactly the same problem:

Lacie External DVD Drive (NEC 2510)
OS X 10.4
DVD Player 4.6
Patchburn

Everything works fine except for that -70012 error

anyone? did a lot of searching and no clue!!

Could it be that this way, Apple tries to stop people from using drives with different region codes? I remember that for a while, I've used my internal drive as Code 1 and my external as Code 2 drive. (Before I learned to simply use VLC.)

Hi fryke,

DVD Player worked fine till the 10.4 upgrade and I think the firmware I used to patch the drive (to get DL) is region free. On 10.3.x, using pacifist to install DVD player (since I don't have an internal drive) and then patchburn did it. This time it did not though VLC works fine, Toast works fine, burning in general works fine, it's just DVD player that refuses to work...

thanks for any help

Then it might simply be a change in how DVD player checks whether a drive is supported or not. :/

Satcomer's answer did it. I also removed Patchburn 4 since it was supposed to do the same...

many thanks

Actually, the only site from your list I don't check on a regular basis is (was) no. 5
Somehow I missed DVD Player patch...

BTW: yes! I'm from outside US but I've been there for three times now: Blacksburg, VA for 5 months back in 97 and Chicago twice in the last two years... so I try to keep up with my english

Only if Apple updates DVD player. Then you will have to check with the Update sites or the developer to get an update patch (for the new DVD Player).

jgem said:
I've just installed Tiger which is working just fine however when trying to open DVD player l get an error message "-70012 DVD player
not recognised". I have an e-mac and use a Lacie external DVD driver which was working very well on Panther. I've tried downloading Pacifist to install the dvd playback with no success.Any other ideas out there ???? :(
-I got the same problem(dvd player error message -70012) but worst. As soon as i use a dvd software for dvd backup(popcorn,fastdvdcopy,dvdremaster,mactheripperetc..)my computer freeze(panic attack)you know, that big black scare that says to hold for 5 sec...and if there is a dvd rom or video in the dvd player at startup, it freezes again. To correct this problem i have to manually take the dvd out from the dvd source (with a pin)and then make a restart, and now its almost ok.
-Now that the computer starts ok, i need to go under disk utilitie to make repair with the computer authorisation(they are always mixtup after the panic attack). Now my computer is ok....for now!...BUT as soon as i use dvd! Boom! panic attack....i have to start all over......
i tried to do a firmware update, but i have the latest..
OSX10.4.1 imac g3 500mhz + 256 sdram with lacie external drive d2 nec 3500.....by the way im going to have soon 1 gig of sdram(upgade)lol
NEVER HAD PROBLEM WITH 10.3+

Back