external firewire dvd burning

heathpitts

Registered
The idvd software requirements say that you must have a built in superdrive equipped mac to burn dvds. Is there no way to burn dvds to a firewire drive?

Use Roxio's Toast Titanium and you will be set. When you install Toast, you need to disable two of Apple's extensions:
Firewire Authoring Support
USB Authoring Support

You will like Toast.

so this program can actually burn in the dvd format? I need to make sure because I dont want just a video cd output that can be read on a dvd player i want the actual dvd format.

Thanks

Heath Pitts

Yes, it does burn DVD's. There is an entire chapter in the manual on the how to.

Actually, Toast won't author DVD's. It will only burn from prepared VIDEO_TS folder (and the other TS folder whose name I can't remember). To prepare these folders, you need an authoring program like DVD Studio Pro. Or you can go into the PC world and use free stuff like bbmpeg, and then tranfer the folders back to Mac for burning.

is there a minimum system requirement to burn DVD's on an external firewire DVD-RW?

Sure, the Quadra wont do it, but how about a PB G3 500?

The Minimum Requirements:
CD or DVD recorder
Power Macintosh processor
24 MB RAM (more is better of course)
100 MB hard drive space
QuickTime
Recordable CDs or DVDs

This is straight from the box. ;)

physicsGuy said:
Actually, Toast won't author DVD's. It will only burn from prepared VIDEO_TS folder (and the other TS folder whose name I can't remember). To prepare these folders, you need an authoring program like DVD Studio Pro. Or you can go into the PC world and use free stuff like bbmpeg, and then tranfer the folders back to Mac for burning.

Tried to do exact this i.e. prepare dvd in studio pro, build the files then write to dvd-r using Toast.
I can't get Toast Titanium to burn the prepared VIDEO_TS (& AUDIO_TS) to my Lacie D2 firewire external dvd writer. not sure what settings should be and which option to use for the burn (Data / Video) :(
one dvd-r i burned didn't play using the apple dvd player or in my Marantz DVD player - i dont think i formatted it correctly and my trial and error approach has failed so far.
any wise words from anyone????

heathpitts said:
The idvd software requirements say that you must have a built in superdrive equipped mac to burn dvds. Is there no way to burn dvds to a firewire drive?
One way is by using Toast. Another is to create disk images and burn from the finder. iDVD will not recognize an external drive. Toast will.

Point_Col said:
Tried to do exact this i.e. prepare dvd in studio pro, build the files then write to dvd-r using Toast.
I can't get Toast Titanium to burn the prepared VIDEO_TS (& AUDIO_TS) to my Lacie D2 firewire external dvd writer. not sure what settings should be and which option to use for the burn (Data / Video) :(
one dvd-r i burned didn't play using the apple dvd player or in my Marantz DVD player - i dont think i formatted it correctly and my trial and error approach has failed so far.
any wise words from anyone????

Simply open up Toast (i'm talking about Toast 6 here) and hit the "Data" button. next, hit the advanced tab on that sidebar that pops out and go down to the third option "DVD-ROM (UDF)"

then just add the two folders (i usually remove the .ds_store files from each folder) and then remember to name the disc (default is "My Disc") to the exact name of the original DVD (if you are backing up a dvd, however, if you are just making a video dvd out of your own movies, disregard that last step.)

Hope this helps.

Back