External Firewire Enclosure not recognized

diablojota

Doctoral Student
Hi all, in my sig you will see my iBook stats. I have repaired permissions, etc, etc, etc.
However, after my upgrade, my external Firewire Enclosed Harddrive is no longer being recognized by my Mac. It worked before the update. I don't know what may have happened. If you guys want any more info, please ask, otherwise I am open to suggestions.
My iPod works without a prob.

I know, stupid remark, but did you turn on your firewire enclosure?
And by upgrade you mean 10.3.3 -> 10.3.4?

Lol, yes Zammy, I did turn it on ;)
Actually after my upgrade from 10.1.5 -> 10.3.3
And I don't think the cable is the problem, because the iPod can be daisy chained off of it and charge, but is not recognized by the iBook.

Did you ever try my most fav recommendation? Try the firewire drive on a fresh user account to see, if something is messed up with your plist files..
Also: repaired permissions?

Zammy-Sam said:
Did you ever try my most fav recommendation? Try the firewire drive on a fresh user account to see, if something is messed up with your plist files..
Also: repaired permissions?

Zammy, I have repaired permissions, restarted, etc. Restarted with drive plugged in.
However, I have not tried it on a new user account. I will try that tonight.
Thanks for the input.

Since you said you recently upgraded to panther, I would guess there is not much you adjusted yet. So, in worst case a fresh install shouldn't harm you that much, right? I tend to blame any stubborn problem to the upgraded os. So, just make a fresh panther install and then it simply has to work.

By the way. I gave up hope that I would ever resolve this problem. This was unfortunate as all of my music was on this external FW harddrive. Well, I updated to 10.3.7 and guess what? It all works perfectly and even better than before. So I went over 6 months without that. Oh well. I thought I was going to have to buy a new FW enclosure to see if the old one was bad. Turns out it was just OSX having some fun times with it.
Cheers.

Back