External Hard Disk

guerriglia

Registered
I have a Maxtor 250 Gb external HDD, compatible with Mac and PC.
I formatted it on my Mac.
I chose the "MS-DOS File System" format (recommended for use on both platforms) when formatted it, but it automatically switches to OS X Extended Journaled at the end of the process (don't know why). As a matter of fact, when I connect it to my PC, it "sees" it, but I can't access it, it's nowhere to be found. So it works with Mac, but not with PC.
Can anybody please help?
Thanks.

I'm not sure why it's switching to OS X Extended, i've never tried to format a drive in MS DOS format before. However, I haven't needed to after I discovered MacDrive (15 day trial available).

It allows you to view Mac volumes on a PC. It is seamless, allowing me to copy files to and from Mac drives as if they were MS-DOS formatted. It is probably a little slower in copying than if it were formatted for Windows, but it must be very slight, because I havent noticed a difference in speed.

That can be your last resort anyway if you can't get it to format MS DOS.

Just a thought, what if you formatted the drive in Windows, then connected it to the Mac?

Thanks. I'll try if that helps.
I can't format it with my PC. After formatting it with my Mac, I can't "see" the HD on my PC anymore.
Any ideas?

np, yeah I was surprised how well it worked too. makes you wonder why microsoft doesn't integrate Mac drive support into Windows as standard (well, I know why they don't, but they should).

Back