External hard drive from windows to mac

Will_Richo

Green & Growing
Hi. I have a 160 gig that was in my xp machine, i have about 18 gig of music and 30 gig in movies. I have purchased an I-Buddie hard drive caddy (usb2) and put the drive into it.
I am trying to get the data from this drive onto my E-mac. There are a couple of challenges i face, and would like some advice on please.

1.The o/s on the drive is windows.
2.I do not know what to set the jumpers to, to make the drive be seen in either Explorer on the win machine/VPC on my e-mac. Is it slave or master?

I plan to open the drive on my e-mac using VPC and then move the media to my e-mac drive, WILL THIS WORK?

Or should i do it a better/quicker way? :confused:

This is all part of my move over to Mac. My XP machine will be used only for Business apps that will only run on windoze. And the occasional game.

Many Thanks :)

You want to share the External HD with both computers? If you want to just use the ExHD for your emac, you may be better off backing up the data and reformatting it Mac OS Extended. Macintosh will read both formats, but window won't read Mac OS formats.
As far as jumpers, etc. I do not believe you have to mess with those.

Once i have the data off it, i will re-format to use on the MAC only. Si will the MAC (should) the mac see the folders?

Anyone else know about the jumper setting?

Does the drive mount when you connect it to the Mac?
If it's formatted Fat32, the Mac should read and write to it.

Hi Bob. When i plug it in the following text box comes up

The drive you are trying to mount has no volumes OSX can read, then some options

Initialise/ignore/eject

Also tried in VPC. Says it is installing a MASS storage drive, and then does so, BUT i cannot see it under the Windows explorer in my computer? When i look under hardware it says this device is working but does not populate the drive info, just says Master boot drive and foreign system?

Viro said:
I was under the impression that Macs couldn't read NTFS volumes, only FAT32.

That is probably the problem then? BUT should VPC see it when i share the USB connection?

Macs can see NTFS, just can't write to it.
If you have Windows OS installed on the drive, that may be the problem.

Back