external hard drive issues

naynar

Registered
yesterday i bought a new external hard drive by seagate. i came home and hooked it up to my powerbook accordingly and everything was going well. i put my music and videos on it and then i ejected it, shut it down for the night, and went to bed. today when i started my computer i plugged in the hard drive after everything was started up and the hard drive still worked fine. it came right up on my desktop and all of my music still worked in itunes, etc.

then i go out to lunch and come home and the firewire that had been connecting my external HD to my computer was loose??? which caused it to have that little message that said something had been disconnected improperly, etc, etc. So I unplugged it completely and then plugged it back in and now my computer just says it doesn't recognize the disk??? So i looked up the troubleshooting issues for the HD and it said to use my disk utility program to initialize the HD and it should work but if I do that w/o backing it up first it's going to erase everything??????

Does anyone have any other suggestions so I don't lose all of my music and videos?? I am pretty much flipping out here, I didn't spend $250 on this thing to lose everything I have after one minor mishap. :( thanks to anyone who replies

Back