External Hardrive

Koelling

I Think Different
I have a 30 gig hardrive that I used with os 9 and when I swiched to X it didn't come up on the desk top as I would have expected. I found the system profiler and I think I see something on the usb heirarchy that could be my hard drive but it has a lot of unknowns. I'll put the actual text from the system profiler:

(onSpec Electronics Inc.)
Product ID: 256 ($100): USB Disk
Vendor: OnSpec Electronics Inc.
Driver version: Not available
Driver name: Not available
Power (mA): 500 ($1f4)
Release number: 80.0
Serial number 006.........

so my question is how do I access this volume? it sees it as connected but it doesn't show up on my desktop. The thing that looks fishy to me is the driver names not being available. I don't know where OnSpec comes from because its one of the blueberry shaded hard drives with a big "Club Mac" on the side and the sticker says Quantum Fireball but it could be made by OnSpec (it was a gift I'm not sure where it was purchased.)

Can anyone please tell me if I need new drivers and where to get them or maybe if you just tell me what your's looks like I will know what to do. I'm not compleatly stupid when it comes to macintosh computers, I'm just stumped here. I would be very greatful if anyone could give pointers to my delima because I doubt I'm the only one with an external hard drive running os X. Thanks all

Troy.

I have a Blueberry 266 imac with 160 ram and (temporarly out of service) 30 meg hard drive. anything else you want to know email me at troykoelling@hotmail.com

Are you sure that the drive is formatted as HFS+, and not HFS?
Mac OS X will only recognize HFS+ and UFS disks. If it IS HFS+, you can try to install System 9.1 or 9.2.1 on it. Then the hard disk drivers will be updated to the latest version.

Have you unplgged and replugged it while the computer is on ?
I have a problem from time to time with my FW HW, it doesnt show up on the desktop. I unlug it and replug it. Since its plug and play it comes right up on the desktop again :)

Originally posted by ksv
Are you sure that the drive is formatted as HFS+, and not HFS?
Mac OS X will only recognize HFS+ and UFS disks. If it IS HFS+, you can try to install System 9.1 or 9.2.1 on it. Then the hard disk drivers will be updated to the latest version.

That's not true. I have an old SCSI disk that is HFS and it works in OSX no problem.

Back