External HD recommendations

blackoutspy

Registered
I'm in the market for a external hard drive before i end up losing all my Maya files and what not. Im looking for around a 160gb with firewire, and i'm using a G4 17" powerbook, with (soon hopefully) panther. A little of the hardware topic, im also hoping to find a way i could use it to back up my mac, AND my winSux machine. I know there is the simple way of just pluging them into the seperate machines, but if there was a way to not do that, maybe over the network or something, that would rule. But the main point, what brand etc of external HD should i get.

Buy a copy of Dantz Retrospect for your mac. You get the desktop license for your mac plus 2 client licenses to backup two other mac, linux, or windows machines.

http://www.dantz.com

I have had good luck with my maxtor One-Touch drive and it comes with Retrospect.

I like the AcomData hard drive I picked up personally. It's firewire and USB 2.0 and I like the fact that there's a firewire port in the back so if you're using your only firewire slot to plug the hard drive, you can plug your iPod like I do to the back of the HD.

Best part: if the hard drive is off and you plug the iPod into it, the iPod ONLY recharges and does not mount. If the hard drive is on, the iPod mounts like a normal firewire port.

I just ordered a LaCie d2 Triple Interface Hard Drive
firewire 400, 800 and usb 2.0
160 Gig $219

I have had great luck with LaCie

Back