external iomega usb2 drive dismounting

davidrafique

Registered
I recently bought an Iomega Desktop 500 GB USB2 drive. When connected to the front USB2 port on my G5 it worked fine. I then bought a Belkin PCI USB2 card and installed it to run the external drive.

When using it the drive constantly dismounted whenever the computer went to sleep. I contacted both Iomega (no help what so ever!) and Belkin (who advised getting a replacement card). I did as they suggested, mounted the new PCI card and bingo the drive was solid during sleeping and waking. Problem solved... until I tried to use it with Final Cut Pro (4.5 HD). Suddenly the problem returned, causing all the FCP files to go off line every time the computer had a snooze.

Since then regardless of what application (if any) I am running the drive dismounts itself- and today I returned to my G5 to find the fan wailing like a banshee and the system in some nightmare unable to wake. The light on the Iomega was out and the whole system was locked. I pushed the start button as the only remedy to shut down and re-started in safe mode whereupon the Iomega woke up. I ran disc utilty and checked permissions/verified disc and all seemed in order. However the problem persists.

The drive is mac formatted and does work with FCP until it sleeps. I have tried setting sleep options to leave hard drives running during sleep to no avail. The tech guy at PC World said I should fiddle with the PCI power settings on my G5 but I'll be a monkey if I can find any such thing...

Any ideas?

Back