External USB Hard Drive Drama

ksneddon

Registered
Have been using external hard drive for several months on iBook G4 with no problems whilst simultaneously using on Win 2K laptop; Win 2K laptop imploded over the weekend and have not been able to see external hard drive on either iBook or new Mac Mini.

Have tried external drive on Win XP laptop and Win 2k desktop and can see data no problems; everything still there and usable.

Cannot see drive in Disk Utility or System Profiler. Any ideas? Is it a USB power issue and if so why has it just surfaced now?

Thanks all.

AHH, i too have the same problem, sorta. My external USB harddrives used to work. Then my 15" G4 Powerbook had some issues, send into apple, all is well, come back, can see drives just fine, a week later and now i cant see one, but another is fine, then i lose that too. Windows 2K and XP can see both just fine. Both drives are very new. regardless of USB port used, USB flash drives work fine. At first the drives wouldnt show up in system profile USB OR in disk utility, now they show up in system profile but it takes about the computer about 5 minutes to find them. I could really use some help here.

Thanks

Are you sure that these drives are formated as FAT32 (or MSDOS according to disk utility)? NTFS will not work in OS X.

No formatting issues with my hard drive but I can now see it on my Mac mini but still not on iBook!!

I have changed nothing and other USB ports on the iBook work with all other accessories - I'm now scared to move the hard drive from the Mac mini in case I never see it again.

I'm still thinking USB power issues but basing this on nothing.

Good luck.

ksneddon, Any chance you use Growl with the extension hardware Growler? I did, untill yesterday and i uninstalled it, now the hard drives show up, it may take a refresh of Finder to get there or wait a few minutes but they do come up. I just unintsalled the Hardware growler and restarted.

Nope, no Growl on there but I see what you're saying: I'll work through what was added circa the start of the problems and remove.

Back