Extra usable login form

Nummi_G4

New Rhapsody User
Hi all,

I've been working on a way to make login forms a little better to use. The average form requires the user to type a login name and password then hit submit. If the user name was typed incorrectly, the user must wait for the error page to download and render before finding out they messed up. With my combination of the JavaScript XMLHttpRequest object and DOM scripting, the user gets instant feedback if the login name does not exist (not instant on my crap slow server).

I'm not much of a JavaScript-er (or programmer in general) so the current script will probably make a long time JS hacker cringe. If anyone wants to download it and improve/play with it, please check it out. Also, I just tested the script in IE 6.0 Win and discovered that it doesn't work!

Of course, it is free and everyone can use it for their own projects (not suggested until the script is streamlined and tested in all browsers). If you make any changes please send them my way.

Check it out here

Its definitely cool, but I am not sure if it will really help. It seems like it takes almost as long as a page refresh. Because it has to check the username before the login button is active it seems like it will take longer to login when you type your username and password right.

Cool idea/implementation though.

HateEternal said:
Its definitely cool, but I am not sure if it will really help. It seems like it takes almost as long as a page refresh.

That's just my damn server. I tried it on other sites and the feedback is instant.

Back