Extraction of Panther from Software Restore DVDs

bpazolli

Registered
Is there anyway I can extract panther from either my powerbook or G5 software restore dvd and then create cds so I can install it on my iMac 333. I have two licenses for Panther and am not using one of them because I have upgraded the intended machines to Tiger. Any Help is appreciated, remember that the iMac 333 dosn't have firewire so you can't do target disk mode. Also what is network boot.

'Is there anyway I can extract panther from either my powerbook or G5 software restore dvd and then create cds so I can install it on my iMac 333', no - not really.

'Also what is network boot?', view this.

Yes, Pacifist will extract the '.pkg' contents; yet, one does not really have to extract the '.pkg' files themselves - but to simply copy such files over to a disk image.

I have created DVD's for installing 'Panther', via retailer copies of 'Panther' Installation CDs; but, have yet to see, or know of, anyone creating a bootable CD set for a specific Mac model from another specific Mac model's installation set. If such can be performed, I would like to view the procedure(s).

Your iMac did probably NOT come with a Panther license, but rather a Puma or Jaguar license. In that sense, you're trying something illegal. Read the board rules about it.

I quote the "Software License Agreement for Mac OS X Single Use License", "2.A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time." After ringing Apple themselves I have confirmed that as long as I don't have Panther installed on any other "Apple-labeled computer", I have the right to install and use it on one "Apple-labeled computer". You really should read the license agreement before you make a claim that someone is breaking the law. Legally I probably have the right to download the discs off the Internet and use them, but this would be a waste of time. The only important thing is that I have this license and don't break any of the rules.

So I state again that I have the right to install Panther on any two computers I choose because I have two of these licenses. Apple agrees with me and in the end that is all that matters.

I am pretty sure you did not tell Apple that you planned to extract panther from either your powerbook or G5 software restore dvd and then create cds to install it on your iMac 333 - they would have informed you that what you planned to do was illegal.

Yes I did, well I told them I wanted to install Panther off the Software Restore DVD onto an iMac 333. I also asked them if I could download it off the internet but they said there was no way to do that. There reply to installing it was that I needed a DVD drive. The point I think you fail to understand is that I can do anything with the data as long I don't break any of the rules in the licensing agreement or in law. Plus, I am pretty sure it is a civil matter in which case they would have to sue me, which means that it is not actually "illegal", it would be the same as saying not cleaning the floor is illegal because if someone slips they may sue you. Here is the fact, no court will rule in favor of Apple if they sued someone for installing software in accordance with there license agreement. What exact law do you people think I am breaking? I am not infringing on copyright law because I am not publishing or selling my extracted version, and I am not breaking the license agreement.

Seriously, you act like copyright infringement is punishable by death. Any how it doesn’t really seem to matter because no one has been able to help me with my problem. Maybe someone could post a list of the complete file structure of the cds.

Back