extreme heat with 2 gigs of ram, solutions?

FallOutBoyx530

Registered
I just installed 2 gigs of ram into my macbook today, and immediately I can see the difference between it from the 512mb. I left it on over night on idle on mirc channels, when i woke up my macbook heat was incredible. it was about 10+ degrees more than the 512mb in it. I was wondering if there's any solution to this besides not using the 2 gigs of ram. I'm wondering about reapplying or putting in thermal paste, but I have no clue which is good. Plus if I do so, this will void my warrenty? Also can I take the paste and my macbook to the genius bar for them to put it in or something I can do without voiding my warrenty? Another question is, if my macbook heat up too much..dies..crash...and burn, will apple replace it? Thanks.

FallOut

I've always had 2 GB on my MacBook, and the heat certainly depends on processor load rather than installed memory, I'd guess... I'd again run it for a couple of hours and look at the activity monitor (only open it when the heat thing occurs) and see how the cores are used...

don't go about thermal paste. apparently, you _could_ get some better results with applying less thermal paste, but it's a *MAJOR* adventure for anybody and even *if* you succeed in doing it better than Apple did, the result might only be about 2 degrees better. You'd lose warranty etc. - rather, I'd try to let Apple have a look if there's a serious problem.

i dont process much at all, usually i just surf in safari, and have ichat open, most of the time i'm idle with it on. but i can tell the difference even if i'm idle with the 2 gig on it. I just want to know that if my hard drive dies or cpu heats up too much or something melts, will apple replace my macbook....if they are I would not touch the thermal paste, but if they arent...I dont want to risk losing my mactop.

Hot running MacBooks and MacBook Pros seem to be prevalent. You might want to monitor your MacBook's temperatures with one of these apps: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/21674 or
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12381.
Apple will most likely cover any damage to your MacBook due to excessive heat. I would register a complaint with AppleCare about the heat issue to insure that Apple covers it.
I would definitely get AppleCare's extended warranty; you'll get an additional two years coverage.
I'd say that the heat issue with IntelMacs won't likely be resolved any time soon. The high temps just can't be doing the MacIntel 'Books innards any good.

ok well...i downloaded the cpu temperature monitor, and both is showing 143-147 fahrenheit idle with ichat running...and thats with a lapcooler on the bottom of my blackbook.

so the only solution is...still get apple care, argue and complain about the heat and hope they will add it to my warrenty?
Yeah, that's about it. I don't think you have to worry about Apple not covering any damage/failures due to excessive heat, though.
But, repeated hot running seems likely to increase the chances of some internal part failure somewhere along the way, so AppleCare's extended warranty would be a wise purchase. And you'll sleep better with the additional two years' coverage.

well since that's the case, I bought an all aluminum lapcooler and installed 2 of my old 2600 rpm fan into the lapcooler, the heat using itunes, safari and ichat is going at around 132 F; I'm wondering if i purchase fans that spins at around 5500 rpm, will the heat lower? (yeah i'm an idiot if its only gonna blow hot air because the fan spinning fast will generate some heat...but anyways) will the heat lower?

I'm wondering if i purchase fans that spins at around 5500 rpm, will the heat lower?

I hope you mean for your notebook cooler, and not for your Macbook! Modifying any of your MacBook's internal parts will void Apple's warranty. Besides, replacing the 'Book's fans requires a MAJOR disassembly.
Using 5500 rpm fans for your notebook cooler might very well reduce your 'Book's operating temps even further. I'd say it's worth a try.
While 132 F is not too bad, it's when the processor is under load, doing some processor-intensive task, that really sends the MacBook's operating temps skyward.

Yeah, I'm talking about the lapcooler not my macbook, I don't want to void the warrenty anyways. I will probably try out the project this weekend and if it doesnt work, i'll probably return the fans that i bought. but anyways i'll keep an update to see what i can do to improve my macbook's heat without opening it. Though i'm not much of a PC person I know that pc are customizable while i think i know about heat sink, but tahts for cpu inside a pc to keep it cool. no point in using that on the outside of the laptop. But i'm wondering is there anyways to make a fan blowing cold air? Thanks for answering and giving me suggestions. Really Aprreciate it.

FallOut

Back