extremely annoying problem 10.1.1

iknownotwhoiam

Registered
any time i add anything new to my desktop (folder/downloaded file/disk image) everything on my desktop decides to scatter and will not move back into its original position. has this happened to anyone else?

... I've had that happen every once in a while. I think it happens when a disk image or something "mounts", but it doesn't appear, so OS X makes a place for it.

I keep mine on auto-arrange, so every once in a while I get a blank space. Sometimes it corrects itself if you take off auto-arrange, move all the icons around a bit, and then turn it back on. Sometimes it doesn't though. :(

I had a similar problem just after I installed 10.1.1 and booted into it after being in OS 9. All the icons on my desktop decided to line up in the middle of the desktop (i mean smack in the middle, not an inch or so from the dock) and wouldn't move. A restart fixed it, but still... it was a hassle.

There've been quite a few finder-related problems in 10.1.1. I think Apple might be releasing a bug fix soon :D

Hey, guys, I've noticed, the alignment of icons depends on which side of the screen your dock is on. In 10.1, I had my dock on the right, and the desktop icons overlaped slightly with it, and I was fine with that. But now that it's on the right in 10.1.1, the icons refuse to overlap with it, pushing them to the left side. If I put the dock at the bottom, the desktop icons can go back to where they were before, all the way to the right.

I suppose this isn't a "bug", it's a "feature", but I miss having my dock and icons overlap a little, to save screen space.... (sigh)

Oh well.

Ditto. It couldn't have been easier. I updated
my G4 (Quicksilver) to 10.1.1 last night. It took
10-15 minutes, rebooted, and I haven't had any
problems with it yet.

Hello

This happens to me on 10.0.4...I dont need 10.1.1 :)
then I have to go realign everything.. a pain in the....well,
you know.

Aaron

Originally posted by iconcow
I had a similar problem just after I installed 10.1.1 and booted into it after being in OS 9. All the icons on my desktop decided to line up in the middle of the desktop (i mean smack in the middle, not an inch or so from the dock) and wouldn't move. A restart fixed it, but still... it was a hassle.

There've been quite a few finder-related problems in 10.1.1. I think Apple might be releasing a bug fix soon :D

I have this problem too since installing 10.1.1. I've found I can fix it without rebooting - if I go into the monitors control panel i mean system preference, switch to a different monitor resolution, then switch back, my HD icon can be moved to the correct place, and the other icons can be moved back or cleaned up as well.

I'm still having the "mouse pointer is stretched vertically and points halfway between where it is located and top of screen problem" though, still no workaround short of rebooting found.

FelineAvenger:mad:

Back