extremely slow startup

Bryce Steiner

Registered
Hello,

I've been noticing that my Mac is extremely slow booting lately. I have 800 G4 silver with 512mb ram. The computer takes literaly 5 minutes to bootup. I can reboot my Windows or linux computers 5-6 times in the amount of time that the this mac takes to boot up. I just upgraded to 10.3.8, but it was this slow before I upgraded. I did fsck last night and said it reparied all errors, and I removed all startup items. It just sits at the blue swirly picture screen with a spinning beach ball for 4.5 minutes. Other than that it runs fine.

What do I need to do to get this working better?

thanks,
Bryce

I had this problem with a G4 a while ago...
I used the Disk utility to reapir any erros, and it was OK, but after a while it was doing the same thing.
In the end I had to reinstall the system... and apparently it worked.

You could try installing the combo update instead of the 10.3.8 delta update, I have heard that helps startup times.

I kind of figured I would probably have to reinstall. Is there a way that I can uninstall unused services easily like NIS and other junk? I may download the combo update and try that after I repair permissions.

thanks,
Bryce

i to had the same problem after updating to 10.3.7. There were several suggestions around. It seems that for many it helped to delete font caches (use font fingaler)
Check if you have duplicated fonts in Fontbook. For me it didn´t help. Some had luck with changing the network settings: first delete and reenter the dns numbers, restart. I created an "empty" network setting, that brought back a speedy startup. BTW it´s always good to repair permissions before and after any major update.

Good luck :confused:

Back