EyeTV is coming to europe!!!

martijnvandijk

Registered
This is an email that I've received from them:

EyeTVs will begin shipping to retailers throughout Europe next week.
If you can't wait that long, you can pre-order EyeTV from a few sources in Europe.
In the United Kingdom, you can send an email enquiry to Computer Warehouse at eyetv@cwonline.co.uk .
In France, you can pre-order EyeTV from the Softline web site ( www.softline.fr ) this week.
In Germany, you can pre-order EyeTV from the Gravis web site ( www.gravis.de ) starting tomorrow, February 4th.
Local resellers in your area will begin to start stocking them in about three weeks.

an app that can watch TV via the internet? Or am i wrong.... ? (will it also available in Belgium martijn?)

yes, you need hardware. EyeTV is a piece of hardware with a slot for antenna in (like in the back of the TV) and USB out. you can record 1 hour of TV (programmable) on 650Mb of harddisk. Check out www.elgato.com for more info. It looks like great stuff

I think that's the same, cable or antenna. It's just that (in holland at least) the frequencies differ and that there is more channels available.

In Germany EyeTv is 249 Euros! In France it is only 199 Euros! Do you think I can use the french version in Germany? I can order it via online.......

Doesn't France have a different TV format? N-America has NTSC, the rest of Europe has PAL and France has some other format if I'm not totally mistaken. So I don't think you can interchange the French and the German version.

Originally posted by martijnvandijk
I think that's the same, cable or antenna. It's just that (in holland at least) the frequencies differ and that there is more channels available.

but what does EyeTV have? A cable or antenna? Cause it's a BIG difference in Belgium.

yes, France uses the SECAM format (i think that is is also the case in east europe), whereas the rest of western europe is using PAL. In fact the most special country for this matter is the UK. They use PAL but instead of sending the audio signal 5.5 Mhz away from the main video signal they do it at 6 Mhz: buy a TV in germany, bring it to london and you'll see the images but won't be able to hear anything :)

The new EyeTV for europe supports boths PAL and SECAM, just check it in their website, so it should not be any problems ordering in France if you are using it in Germany.

www.elgato.com

Be aware that EyeTV uses a MPEG-1 compression scheme with a fixed resolution of 352x240 and this gives approx the same quality as a VHS recording but it is far from DVD.

But anyway, actually i am planning on getting it just to digitize some VHS tapes... :)

Tomas

Originally posted by Tomasset
yes, France uses the SECAM format (i think that is is also the case in east europe), whereas the rest of western europe is using PAL. In fact the most special country for this matter is the UK. They use PAL but instead of sending the audio signal 5.5 Mhz away from the main video signal they do it at 6 Mhz: buy a TV in germany, bring it to london and you'll see the images but won't be able to hear anything :)

Wow! I always knew there were some differences, but this is beyond good and evil!:D
I hope HDTV (or whatever will be the next generation TV format) is going to eliminate this mess!

Senne:

I'm in the U.S. I hook up cable tv to the eyetv. its capable of just about every format though i'm not sure about satelite stuff.

I just got mine today and its cool! I will use it for recording but for watching live tv probably keep it to my tv for that.

can you connect the hardware to a normal TV? Or do you have to use a computer to "bridge" it to a normal TV, via VideoOUT of your computer?

Originally posted by senne
can you connect the hardware to a normal TV? Or do you have to use a computer to "bridge" it to a normal TV, via VideoOUT of your computer?

I don't think so. It has AV in the back of the eyetv but its for connected a camcorder or DVD player. Everything in the back of the EyeTV is "In" not "out" so you'll have to connect your mac to the TV if you have video out on it. But what I do is have my cable shared between tv and eye tv via a splitter.

You can burn VCD's to pay on your dvd player. But not sure why you would want to use it just to reconnect it to your tv?

Back