EyeTV not opening since computer crashed

jac_el40

Registered
Hi,

I asked a previous question (don't know whether you can see the last ticket as it is now closed) when my imac suddenly crashed and wouldn't boot. The problem seemed to be resolved by typing /sbin/fsck/ -fy after pressing Apple + S after powering up. All seemed to be working fine except EyeTV wouldn't load/

I assumed it was the usb stick that caused it as the light wouldn't even appear and have purchased a new version. Receiving it i still seem to be having the same problem. Most times it crashes with only the icon bouncing in the dock then disappearing. Although i did manage to load it once and get through the eyetv setup stages with a live picture in the background although it then crashed after i closed the setup window and now can't get anywhere again

The report window comes up and gives this information, don't know if it means anything to you:

Process: EyeTV [195]
Path: /Applications/EyeTV.app/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV
Identifier: com.elgato.eyetv
Version: 3.0.1 (3545) (3.0.1 (3545))
Build Info: EyeTV-3545~3545
Code Type: PPC (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [72]

Date/Time: 2008-05-09 03:08:38.027 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000020000
Crashed Thread: 0

and then a long line of coding

Another point is that i can't seem to reset permissions in disk utility. It starts and comes up saying estimated time less than a minute but then freezes

Just wondered what i should do as it seems to be a fault with the imac now and i really haven't got a clue how to get it going (if it's even possible). Thank you for taking the time to read this, look forward to a reply

These are general tips for troubleshooting EyeTV and may or may not directly address your issue, so the order may need reshuffling in your particular case, it's up to your discretion.

As sourcehound hinted ^ I feel in your situation you need to totally uninstall/remove all traces of EyeTV from your Mac, so you should read through carefully and follow the removal process first, then try reinstalling and troubleshoot further from there.

Also, you may have other underlying issues not involved with EyeTV that need addressing, so you'll need your Mac OS X Instal Media. Sometimes your internal HD needs to be unmounted before it can be repaired and this is why you'll need to boot from the Instal Disc and run Disc Utilities.

So let's begin:

1) Repair Disk Permissions using the Disk Utility (in the Application/Utilities folder), or in your case, try booting from the Mac OS X installation disc and go through the steps until you see Utilities appear in the top menu bar on your desktop. Click and select Disc Utility and continue to Repair Permissions/Disc.

2) Try EyeTV on all of your other FireWire or USB ports, with another FireWire or USB cable, and try it with other FireWire or USB devices detached. There might be a fault with the connection, or some sort of conflict with another device. If you’re using a portable, then also try it while plugged into a wall outlet, instead of using battery power. This will ensure that EyeTV is getting enough power over the FireWire or USB cable. If you’re using a hub, make sure that it’s self-powered by an AC adaptor.

3) Remove and reinstall a small program called EyeTV Helper, which is involved in detecting EyeTV on the FireWire/USB bus.

• Open Activity Monitor (located in Applications/Utilities). Find EyeTV Helper. Select EyeTV Helper and click Quit Process in the top left corner.
  • Find the EyeTV Helper (located on your hard drive/Library/Application Support/EyeTV folder).
  • Delete EyeTV Helper from your hard drive.
  • Start EyeTV and it will be reinstalled.

4) You should also try to erase the four EyeTV Preference files, starting with com.elgato.

*IMPORTANT*

If you erase the EyeTV preference files, then any activation key you may have will need to be re-entered. Don’t erase the preference files unless you have the activation key in hand.

They can be found in the following locations:

In /Library/Preferences/ (The System Library folder)

-com.elgato.eyetv.devices.plist

-com.elgato.eyetv.plist

-com.elgato.eyetv.world.plist

In /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ (Your User Library folder)

-com.elgato.eyetv.plist​

After you erase them and restart EyeTV, then you’ll have to re Auto Tune via the Setup Assistant, or the Setup part of the EyeTV Preferences.

5) If possible, please download any updates of the latest version of EyeTV, and install it:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv2

Make sure to unplug EyeTV, start the new software, wait 30 seconds, and then plug in the unit again, to make sure the new software is activated.

Mac OS X User Issues

6) Try a new admin user account, and see if that helps. Go to the Accounts section of the System Preferences to create a new account. The Security tab will let you select Administration access.

7) Finally, you can perform two system adjustments that help some mysterious problems:

Try to reset your PRAM:

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer’s startup sound.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Also reset the NVRAM (Will not work with an Intel Mac):

First, shut down your computer. Then boot up, and press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Then, do the following

• At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
  • Press Return.
  • At the Open Firmware prompt, type: set-defaults
  • Press Return.
  • At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
  • Press Return.
  • If your computer does not automatically restart, then type: mac-boot
Both of the above are from the AppleCare Knowledge Base, and can help when things are amiss.

Please let us know how you get on .... ;)

Last edited:
Back