Fanatical users? Try fanatical engineers!

Yes, this was a pretty fascinating read. Its pretty easy to see how this could happen, too. I know that I still have an old badge for a previous contract I worked which they never got around to cancelling (and no I haven't done anything bad with it), so I know how easily this can happen. I personally know a fair few techies who, when their contracts were cancelled, snuck in to make sure the job was finished anyway.

yeah, I really enjoyed that story. crazy [ex] Apple folks.

I'm assuming from his mention of no mortgage, and the other guy trying to explain to his parents what he'd been doing, that they were living at home with parents...? Guess that's what makes it possible to work for almost a year for FREE!

quiksan said:
I'm assuming from his mention of no mortgage, and the other guy trying to explain to his parents what he'd been doing, that they were living at home with parents...?
Well, he could have been living out of an apartment. He mentioned he was living off of savings, so it might be a possible scenario.

Great story though. I remember Graphing Calculator - I used it every once in a while, but it was definitely a nice application.

I would actually use graphing calculator all the time (if its the one im thinking of) I wish there was one in osX

I wasn't living with my parents; they just didn't understand what the project was about or why I was working without being paid. Ron and I each were living in rentals; our expenses were low. He drove an old car (and still today drives the same one); I lived walking distance from Apple then.

In December of 1993, with the Calculator mostly finished, I spent a few evenings writing the code for translucent dragging. I found an Apple manager to buy that code (it was slipped into the 7.5.3 Finder a few years later, if I recall correctly.) I made more money from a few nights work than I had from the 6 months on the Calculator.

If I'm as updated as I think I am, that calculator is going to be shipped with 10.4.

, I spent a few evenings writing the code for translucent dragging.
haha thats awesome. kudos, its the small things that made me love the apple - i've been using it since system 7.5 :)

Back