[FAQ]Can I install Tiger on my Mac from another Mac's DVD/CDs?

Mac OSX works fine regardless of where it comes from, including other computers, regardless of colors or X's!! Three of us in our family have done this, and it is easy, folks.

We have three laptops and two desktops, thank you very much!! Two children and one adult can easily use this many in my household!! We love our Macs. Down with Bill Gates.

I'm not entirely sure what you want to say. Are you urging people to illegally use OS X from another computer? I think you got this thread wrong - and are ignoring the board rules, kinda...

I have a question: if the OSX that came with your Mac is optimised for 'your Mac', does it means the retail one isn't as optimised as the one came with the Mac?

I have a question: if the OSX that came with your Mac is optimised for 'your Mac', does it means the retail one isn't as optimised as the one came with the Mac?

Actually, the retail disc optimizes for any Mac out there. Apple makes the discs shipped with a Mac (basically OEM discs) to only optimize for the Mac it ships with. While it will work on an infinite number of Macs of the same model (but would be illegal if using the same disc....I think), you can't use it on another model Mac. Think of it as using the OEM WIndows XP disc from a Dell PC on a Compaq PC. It won't work. However, you should be able to use it on another Dell (although in this case, I don't think it matters what model Dell you're using).

Actually, the retail disc optimizes for any Mac out there. Apple makes the discs shipped with a Mac (basically OEM discs) to only optimize for the Mac it ships with.

I don't get it.

Does the retail disc checks the model of Mac you have and selects an optimised kernel for it or something along those lines?

Is the retail one 'as optimised' as OEM one's?

I don't get it.

Does the retail disc checks the model of Mac you have and selects an optimised kernel for it or something along those lines?

Is the retail one 'as optimised' as OEM one's?

I think you hit the nail on the head. And I do believe that they are just as equally optimized, except that the one in the OEM disc has the optimized kernel for only that Mac.

Back