[FAQ]Can I install Tiger on my Mac from another Mac's DVD/CDs?

dmetzcher said:
When Steve (he hates being called "Stevie" or "The Jobs Man") comes over my place, I make sure that I hide all my Windows machines. That's what really upsets him. You can pirate the hell out of the Mac OS, but legit copies of Windows will not be tolerated. You have been warned. :D

Ya know, what if Steve Jobs had an account here on MacOSX.com? What would you say to that? How would you recognize him if he did? You think he'd actually use an alias associated with Apple? HA! Perhaps, just maybe, you may have had an unknown conversation with him....maybe, and maybe NOT. You just never know. You never know who you're going to meet on the big blue marble. The world is a very small place, be careful how you joke about CEOs whom you know nothing about....you just may get WHACKED!...or NOT!

I got whacked once, the Vulcan Mind Meld brought me back...haven't been quite the same since....but close is good enough.

I probably should keep this to myself, but i have 2 Macs
and one copy of Tiger - and there is no way in hell that
i will pay for two copies. Call me a pirate, i don't care!

-i am politically incorrect as hell, and i approve this message :D

g/re/p

mdnky said:

that sucks,...and is kinda,...well,.... *IS* stupid!

yeah i own 3 comps myself )1mac, 2 pcs0
and you know what;...sorry to say this but we don:t live in a disney world with magic faries and unicorns that make rainbows. This is reality and EVERYONE has cut corners!

If you can tell me the full name of a single person who has lived his life fully legitimately then I will gather back the software, return it, and buy the single users for all 5 of us so that the richer can get richer )while the poorer get poorer0.

...Can you tell me that every single MP3 file on YOUR HD is bought and/or licensed properly?
...Can you tell me you have accounted for every single dollar you:ve earned when doing yourt taxes?
...Can you tell me you have always driven the SPEED LIMIT and never exceeded over?

I am not religious but I believe the saying is,...
*Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone.*

so anyway,
...get my point?

wow this topic has REALLY gotten off subject, lol!!!

mersyone said:
...WELL I DON'T KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS 5 MAC COMPUTERS IN THERE HOUSEHOLD (do you?) (Why would anybody even need 5 macs in one house?)
Actually we do. There is my G4/1.25 MDD, my wife's G4/733 Quicksilver, our shared G4/1.25 iBook, our daughter's G3/600 iBook, and our son's G4/1.25 iMac. So now you know at least one person who does have five Mac computers in a single household. Even if there were only two Macs in the same family the Family Pack license would be a bargain and the additional licenses are gravy.

But no matter how you want to justify it, what you and your buddies are proposing is a violation of Apple's End User License Agreement.

@brianmorgan: Sorry to be so late with answering... I didn't really mean it seriously (hence the "don't take me seriously right now" smiley), but when I read your post, I just found it funny how you mentioned Macs that would never run Tiger, anyway. I maybe should've answered differently - or not at all. Sowwy. :)

To all of those discussing how to circumvent the legal issue or how not to care etc.: Let's just not. I agree that I probably know no-one who's ALWAYS been correct in his/her life. And that, of course, includes myself. But I must say that I find it particularly dumb to buy a family pack and use it in violation of the agreement, since you could just as well buy the normal retail version for less money, as the crime would be the very same, so those people are neither doing Apple nor their conscience a favour.

g/re/p: If you want to, you can forward your message directly to Apple's legal department. ;)

It wasn't me! to quote a popular song. Not about Tiger anyway. Though as it happens the two iBooks and iMac don't have Tiger, only Panther, as I would have to buy a family edition of the former.

The G3 powermac is here now, with 10.3.9 - ready for use on the community project. It has firewire and USB, but there is a puzzle - the earlier Apple bus connection doesn't seem work - not that this is a great problem but I could use redundant keyboards and mice with it. Maybe people have an idea what's going on - is the socket perhaps just not connected?

By the way, just bought a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 to get old negs and trannies digitised. That'll be fun.

perfessor101 said:
But no matter how you want to justify it, what you and your buddies are proposing is a violation of Apple's End User License Agreement.

Corporations like Walmart can generate $3 million dollars in 7 minutes,
while some of us consider "Red Lobster" fancy dining.
That is their (...or our) rational.

(sorry to have brought up the subject one last time)

What does the money Walmart makes have to do with your situation? You're five different persons, aren't you. Each wants a Tiger license but each hasn't got the money? Then stay with Panther is the easy answer. But to abuse a family pack ... Well, read my above comment again: It just makes no sense to buy a family pack _intending_ to break the license agreement.

fryke said:
g/re/p: If you want to, you can forward your message directly to Apple's legal department. ;)

Ha ha! I was waiting for someone to address that - i actually left out crucial info - my Tiger disk is a NFR version that i recieved via the ACN (Apple Consultants Network) and i am allowed to install it on both of my macs (for non-commercial use)
:D

The question is: is worth installing Tiger? (I'm just asking, I still use Panther because I've heard of many problems with it)

wrong thread, but short answer: if you don't need Tiger's features and Panther's running okay, why not stay there and save 129$. but 10.4.3 is stable.

rei1974 said:
The question is: is worth installing Tiger? (I'm just asking, I still use Panther because I've heard of many problems with it)
Yeah, I head about a lot of problems with Panther too. :D

Seriously, you will hear this about any new OS release until the next version is released at which point the previous version magically becomes the best and most stable version ever. Most of the problems with any new release fall into one of the following categories:
  1. Previously marginal hardware (usually RAM) that cannot handle the additional stresses imposed by the new and faster OS
  2. Out of date third party apps that must be updated or replaced
  3. non-mainstream hardware devices
  4. User hacks
  5. A file system that was compromised before the new OS was installed
  6. Murphy's Law
I am supporting nine Macs, all running OS X 10.4.3, and scattered from Dallas to Orlando and there has not been a problem yet.

perfessor101 said:
Seriously, you will hear this about any new OS release until the next version is released at which point the previous version magically becomes the best and most stable version ever.]

Couldn't have said it better.

After doing a search this seems to be the closest relevant thread to address my situation.

I am a school teacher with 10 iMacs (no dvd) and 10 eMacs (no dvd). I do have a newer flat screen iMac which does have a dvd player so I was able to purchase and install Tiger. I use iMovie a lot in my classroom. After playing around with iMovie in Tiger on my flat screen iMac I noticed immediately that iMovie is much better version in Tiger than it is in Panther. So, how do I LEGALLY get Tiger on my other 20 machines that do not have dvd players without spending money I don't have?

Legally, you would have to buy 5 family packs for 20 machines. then exchange the DVD's for CD's. Apple has an exchange program.

Since this is for a school, I would call Apple directly. They have an education program.

Call Apple's education department and ask about getting registered to become an authorized purchaser for the school (or find out who already is for your school). The discounts they give institutions is pretty nice, particularly on their software.

bobw said:
Legally, you would have to buy 5 family packs for 20 machines. then exchange the DVD's for CD's. Apple has an exchange program.

Since this is for a school, I would call Apple directly. They have an education program.
The family pack license explicitly excludes its use in that kind of environment. Besides that it is cheaper to get a multi-seat license directly from Apple. They sell them all the time for schools, corporations, etc.

Back