[FAQ] Mac OS on a regular PC

anorexic

Registered
Hi. Im pretty much a newbie with Mac software and hardware. I just wanted to know if there's any way i could install Mac OS on a regular PC, like maybe if I format my hard drive and try to do a clean install of Mac OS instead of MS Windows or something?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Nope, no way to do that.

Also, please read the forum descriptions before posting.

Mac OS X: HOWTO & FAQs
A selection of solutions to common issues. If you feel you have a good answer to a common problem or frequently asked question, please submit it here. Do not submit new questions here.

And Welcome to MacOSX.com

You can install Linux on a regular pc, but not mac on the pc. There are a few older mac classic emulators for pc, but if you want to use Mac OS you better get a Mac. eMac and second hand macs can be a good start. Welcome on board :)

Perhaps a refurbished eMac or iBook at somewhere around $600. You'll have lots of fun with it! www.smalldog.com or powermax.com

I got an iBook a couple years ago and got so hooked that I had to buy a flat-panel iMac.

Doug

Thanks a lot for your replies and i appologize for placing it in a wrong place. I just got into college and there are mac's everywhere. I already heard tons of good things about it. We are currently using Mac OS 9, it is pretty similar to MS Windows and i already figured out how to use it, i still cant get used to not having a right click though. We're getting G5 soon, im looking forward to get more familiar with Mac's.

Thanx again.

A G5 won't run OS9, so you'll soon be introduced to the wonderful world of OSX! :)

(EDIT: For clarity's sake let me mention that a G5 will still run many 'classic' OS9 apps, but NOT the OS9 Finder.)

Command-click on a Mac is a lot like right-click on Windows. And in OSX, you can even buy a 3rd-party 2-button mouse and right-click 'for real'.

I hope you'll love OS X even more! I never was a big fan of Classic, I used it, but got out of the Windows world when the OS X was out. I love it ... try it once it arrives, play with it, work with, get familiar with it and if you like, think about your own too ;)

command-click on a Mac is a lot like right-click on Windows. And in OSX, you can even buy a 3rd-party 2-button mouse and right-click 'for real'.

It's Control-click

Originally posted by bobw

It's Control-click [/B]

Depends on the app =)

(One of my little peeves is the inconsistency between apps, like the ctrl+click vs cmd-click, differing zoom behaviors, etc. It only gets worse when running X11 apps, but I kind of expect that)

Drives me nuts too.

brianleahy, I use right-click mouse commands all the time in OS9, too, I even found an "open with..." add on that absolutely rocks.

Its always a shock when I get on a Windows machine and right-click to do something and people think Im a power user. :p

True, control-click is more common in OSX.

I forgot, becuase I *HAVE* a 2-button mouse, so I rarely have to ctrl-click...

Back