Fast User Switching

RyanLang

Charlie Brown
I don't know if it's because I only have a GeForce 2 MX and the cut off has been upped, but fast user switching only does a fade out to the selected user (a nice fade at that however) instead of that 3D cube effect. Anyone else with panther getting the 3D cube effect? If so, what are your machine specs? Thanks

This is OT (sorry), but now that some of you are actually using FUS, I had two questions.

First, is it possible to turn the cube animation off, or at least change it to something quicker.

Second, is it possible to have the same user log into multiple sessions (and not have things confused).

Thanks

Try 1280x1024 resolution. I run at 1600x1200 and get the fade as you do. I switched to lower res and got the cube transition.

Specs:
G4 DP 867 (MDD)
1GB RAM, GeForce 4 MX

Originally posted by binaryDigit

Second, is it possible to have the same user log into multiple sessions (and not have things confused).

Thanks

I'd be very curious to know the answer to this question too.

I would think it should work, but if someone could verify it.

Josh

Originally posted by binaryDigit

Thanks

Not that I've seen as of yet. Who knows what future builds will bring, though?

No, its not possible to turn it on an off. Maybe it's possible to hack a file to do it, but cybergoober is right, it's a resolution thing.

Originally posted by RyanLang
I don't know if it's because I only have a GeForce 2 MX and the cut off has been upped, but fast user switching only does a fade out to the selected user (a nice fade at that however) instead of that 3D cube effect. Anyone else with panther getting the 3D cube effect? If so, what are your machine specs? Thanks

::ha:: ::ha::

mmm the 3d cube effect is a Keynote effect. By Keynote I mean the application similar to PowerPoint.

It's not a panther effect...

Originally posted by uoba
Er, 3mor, have you followed the WWDC? :confused:

I think he was jus referring to the effect first being in keynote.app first.

I WOULD like to think he knows about Panther, and WWDC... Otherwise he needs a SLAP :p

I followed WWDC and I have panther.

I've already tried to have 3D cube effect, but the switch on my machines is with a fade out/fade in effect.

Already tried to change resolution, but nothing changes.

So I suppose that it's a Keynote effect.

Do you mean that only people with Keynote will get this effect!?

As above, others have got this effect.

They took the idea and probably some code from Keynote, but if you have a good enough graphics card you will get the cube rotating. If not you will get the fade out fade in.

But kinda defeats the purpose of having a cool transition such as that if you have to lower the resolution to see it. Doesn't it?

Okay, once and for all: The cube effect _works_ with Fast User Switching - depending on your graphics card & screen resolution.

It works fine on my iBook.

Well, it probably was way too jerky without a certain performance level from the graphics card, so it might be better not to show it at all.

Yep. Can anyone tell me how Fast User Switching and Exposé look on a completely QE-disabled machine looks like? No effect at all or a slow (software based) one?

On my powerbook G4 with 8MB vram, expose works greatly but user switch uses fade in/fade out effect.

I've already tried to enable Quartz Extreme using the tweak listed on versiontracker, but I can't obtain 3d cube effect.

Say, for instance, you had two users, and they each had different screen resolutions in their preferences. What would happen then? I'd like to see that cube effect! :D :p

(or is the resolution universal?)

Back