Fast Web Browser for 8.6?

Vyper

Awaiting Panther
Im on a 7200 machine running OS 8.6, and I recently got broadband internet. I networked the machine to my router, but even with broadband browsing on the machine seems unbearably slow. Is there an open source solution like Chimera for older OS's that aren't too demanding on computers or do you think my 72 mhz computer's just loading images slowly?

What do you call unbearably slow ?
Try to download something big and tell us the download rate in Kb/s.

You should invest in more memory for that 7200. Your max is 512MB. You have four slots that take 168 pin DIMMS. Max it out. Then go to the memory control panel, turn on virtual memory and turn off RAM disk, the disk cache should be set to 16,384k or close to it.

Now you will notice a big improvement.

Toast: I get like 20k download speeds, and it downloads the pages fine, but it takes forever to render them.

try opera or icab!

icab is a little browser, but you can change many settings! try if it would be the images, to turn them of in the browser! that might help rendering your web pages faster!

I personnally used Netscape 4.8 a lot, until I recently changed for Netscape 7 when I'm running in OS9.

I used to have a 7200/90 and I would have to say the processor speed is what's holding you back. You could also check to see if you have the correct ethernet PCI card in your computer for your high speed internet connection. Your computer is old enough that it might have an older, slower speed.

You might also try upping your browsers RAM requirement and also increasing your "cache" size so you have more of your favorited pages available instead of having to download all the images fresh each time you visit.

Let me know if this helps

Cheers

It could also be that your cache is full. the browser will take time to check your cache to see if you have that web page on file. Then it checks the web page on file and compares it to the one on the server for any changes. When you have many files in that cache, it will take a while for that check. Empty the cache and see what happens. To do this, go to the Edit menu>Preferences.

I would have to say, gulp, that the best browser I have used to date is Internet Explorer. Get 5.0 if your machine can stand it. I find Netscape is too slow and Safari still has some bugs to work out.

Especially since Safari doesn't work on 8.6.

Remember people, Vyper's using Mac OS 8.6 on this machine, so don't suggest browsers to him that require anything higher.

I personally use IE 5.1 and it works quite well for me. I suggest you go to www.versiontracker.com and type in "browser" in the Mac OS Classic panel and see what pops up, then try each actual browser in turn (they should download relatively quickly, of course).

What's the deal with meowing all of a sudden? Is it something against IE?

Back