Faster Broadband access

Aussie John

Registered
I noticed railhead design posted a link to a utility which is supposed to improve broadband DLs significantly.

http://www.railheaddesign.com/

Thought I would try it
supposed to drag folder to startupitems folder but when i do says the folder cant be modified
I have root user enabled.
1) how do i do it
2) will the utitlity work?
thanks

Make sure you do some benchmarks before and after installing this thing. Some people seem to get a boost, but many (myself included) actually get poorer performance after installing it. There are tests on DSLreports.com and bandwidthplace.com.

After installing my DSL access speeds rose from about 700 Mbps to nearly 1100 Mbps according to some online test sites.

Originally posted by testuser
I tried changing these setting a long time ago, and did not notice much difference in network speed. Can someone who is a network expert weigh in on this issue (that means you, Klink!)?

You can try ftp transfers before and after issuing the above commands to see if performance is increased at all. You might want to do this in the Terminal since browsers cache downloads, and will skew the results. Testing it out this way will not require a restart.

I'm not much of a TCP/IP guru, and it has been a long time since I pulled the Stevens books out of a cupboard (the fact that the cupboard is in a different country does not help either :)

Increasing send and recv spaces helps with dealing with burstiness of the traffic on fat long pipes; however, it can have negative effects on lockstep or remote procedure call protocols. Turning off delayed acks increases traffic on both ends, and I cannot see how could it help, apart from maybe influencing the TCP slow start in window recovery situations.

Still, one can get much more from per socket setting of these as socket options, because they are not general tuneables, and depend on the actual traffic pattern on that very socket. However, many networked app programmers are not aware of these, and are using defaults.

Back