Fastest web browser

Hi, I'm the dead horse beater. So, regarding this pathetic graphics layer speed that plagues virtually every OS X application (wham!:sound of dead horse being kicked). I've officially downloaded and tried every browser recommended on this board and others. I can't think of all of them, but basically we've got Explorer, Omniweb, iCab, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape official, Chimera...what am I missing.

I'm here to say that for me and how I use web browers they all completely suck in OS X. And I mean SUCK as in total embarassment. Most of my tests are done on a lowly iMac 400, which I know might be a teeny bit unfair, but you'd think somebody could make a browser that doesn't function in slow motion for a base model Mac.

The really funny part is that they run faster in X's own Classic layer! Too funny. I know it's totally different rendering technology, but still, it's the same machine, make it work or use a better method. Until I see Quartz run smoothly, I wish Apple would have chosen another method.

I have my browser window set to full width simply because it makes me cringe to even think of resizing. For the love of God, this is 2002 and I have to put up with this total crap!

One step forward, two steps back.

LOOK PEOPLE,

if Ed doesn't click on ads, how is blocking them any different, to the person on the other end, than not clicking on them?

It's called branding. Having exposure to a brand gives you a warm fuzzy about it, even if you don't know anything about it. When you go to a store and look for something, and you see a familiar name, you're more likely to investigate it. You remember the name, it's familiar, you don't remember why.

Budweiser has some really nice ads, that look like beer. I don't even drink, but I look at the ads and get familiar with the name. It's a similar startegy to what the Apple stores are doing, they're not just trying to be point of sale capable. Apple would be perfectly happy (if not ecstatic) if you went for the first time to an Apple store, and then actually bought an Apple from Best Buy.

Ads are not always point of sale. There are many levels of comfort a customer goes through before purchase. Identifying a brand is one of those.

And now in a vain attempt to get back on topic. I still like iCab, although I realize that it renders kinda crazy sometimes.

Yea, i still like icab the best too!! unclick css2 and switch the icon set and the thing flys and renders much better. And it is made in Europe so it is supporting an international economy concept.

but theed, just to get back off track;) , i was in advertising for 7 years. i know many of the tricks of the trade. it should still come down to my choice as to whether i want to be exposed or not. Otherwise you are promoting brainwashing. besides many ads create a very different feeling from the warm fuzzy you are describing. in fact, most ads do. Just because someone wants to pay to reach me, doesn't mean they have a right to. they have only a chance to.

you know billboards can be helpful things sometimes. but 50 of them in a 2 mile stretch is ridiculus. same with the mass amount of pop ups and banner adds that litter the internet. I don't really eliminate them, i just reduce the number i am exposed to.

these anti-blocking arguments would have to be applied to spam as well, and i doubt many people would stand up and shout about how wrong it is to block spam.

That's about as close as we'll probably ever come to disagreeing. I agree with you that it's your choice to download page's parts selectively. If you choose not to, that's fine. I also think it's pretty sweet that iCab allows it in such an intelligent manner. I myself will not block ads like that because I think it hurts the providers. But I'm all about leaving the choice up to the individual.

My previous point was that seeing an ad is part of the advertising campaign. Just because you don't click on it doesn't mean it wasn't effective. At the same time, I hate the number of ads people are usually exposed to. I don't watch TV in part because of this. ... that and it sucks. At least with web sites I can look at what I want without having my time wasted waiting for advertisements to finish. If your web browsing experience is such that you are wasting life because of ads, then by all means turn those puppies off.

It saddens me that advertising has substituted so effectively for quality of design. Sales are more dependent on marketing than on the product. It also saddens me that advertisements can now be effective by creating an emotional tie between a product and ... an emotion. Don't sell me a computer with blue people and a jingle! At least show the product you're selling! Those bastards.

But, finally, when you block ads, you're not taking revenue out of the advertiser's pocket. He pays per thousand downloads. If the image isn't downloaded, it's probably not counted. You're only reducing revenue to the site provider who is pulling his money from advertising. If you want the lack of view to count against the advertiser, you'd need to download, yet still not view the ad. At least this level of honesty in the transaction remains.

I don't understand some of you. You complain about speed issues etc, and say IE is still the best for X, and yet, if someone were to tell you that say, some (eg) WinAmp, or is mac relative MacAmp ripped MP3s faster, iTunes, would you change, simply for speed? No. You would think to youself, well, iTunes is an easy to use program, with decent features, and it has a user interface that is pleasing to the eye. I cannot stand IE. Microsoft tried to replicate the Windows IE, and yet still look like "the good guys" to Mac users, by making it frickin aqua, which they still didn't do right. It doesn't respect standards, it doesn't use system settings (even under os9) and above all, its from microsoft. does IE REALLY have any worthwhile features that say OmniWeb or iCab, or Opera don't have?

I admit, i do use MS products. I use Entourage and Word. i do this, because i used Entourage under 9, and for me, Mail.app simply isn't what i want in an email client. and word, - well i've been taught all the ins and outs of Word/Excel/Access as TAFE, it has more features for advanced data handling, and it integrates with Entourage, allowing dynamic content from my address book etc.

I wish Mail.app was as good as, or better than Entourage, but it isn't for what i want. I wish AppleWorks had the features of Word, but last time i checked, (6.something in 9) it didn't and the toolbar was buggy (buttons were all black).

All i'm saying is, the whole point of looking at a website is to actually LOOK at it. It's not much point looking at a pile of shit that doesn't resemble the authors design, even if it does load in half a second.

Thats my two cents....plus a few dollars.

While being one of the most vocal anti-netrape/internet exploiter persons on the site, i can hardly deny having them on my hd. and from time to time i am forced to use them. Itools works with ie. don't even get me started on how much apple pisses me off by not working with the other browsers closer to make this a non issue. ie also is the only browser that uses WMP as far as i can tell. sometimes i like to hear things that some 'under m$'s thumb' site has to offer. If i want to hear anything in real format, i have to go to classic communicator to hear or see it.

even among members of our site, there is some ridiculus worship of flash and having to use the latest version. so back to ie or raper to see the site.

but the fact is that 99% of the time i spend online can be done just as well and often better with icab. or even omniweb or opera. It is only those sites that participate in the big corporations' quest for control that force me to be controlled by what browser i use.

btw Quackingpenguin, i don't understand those people either ;)

Can anyone get the latest nightly build to install?

When I install it it doesn't actually install anything at all, besides the Mozilla registry, the prefs and a few other files.

The actual Mozilla application isn't anywhere on my drive :confused:

I'm having the same problem, I've tried probably a half a dozen times over the past 2 months and have never been able to install the Mach-O browser for one reason or another.

It would be to get a link to a download that actually works. :rolleyes:

so what you guys are saying is that i'm getting all worked up over nothing. that only googolplex, vanguard , kilowatt and now solrac can even get the thing to work?:p

so let me ask people - could we dispense with all this debate and pondering about why we all feel the way we do and just agree that either you or me puts something straightforward like mozilla does on their site to the effect that mozilla is used in the development of netscape for aol and for people to use it with that in mind. we can work on the exact wording. that's all i really ever wanted. for people to know the connection and to make a choice accordingly. :)

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
so what you guys are saying is that i'm getting all worked up over nothing. that only googolplex, vanguard , kilowatt and now solrac can even get the thing to work?:p

I HAD it working, but I deleted it because it was butt ugly, but now I want to try it again, and It's not working :mad:

so let me ask people - could we dispense with all this debate and pondering about why we all feel the way we do and just agree that either you or me puts something straightforward like mozilla does on their site to the effect that mozilla is used in the development of netscape for aol and for people to use it with that in mind. we can work on the exact wording. that's all i really ever wanted. for people to know the connection and to make a choice accordingly. :)

Ed, if I ever get this thing working, I don't plan on submitting any bug reports to them, I just want to use a fast browser.

Originally posted by QuackingPenguin
It doesn't respect standards, it doesn't use system settings (even under os9) and above all, its from microsoft. does IE REALLY have any worthwhile features that say OmniWeb or iCab, or Opera don't have?

I wish Mail.app was as good as, or better than Entourage, but it isn't for what i want. I wish AppleWorks had the features of Word, but last time i checked, (6.something in 9) it didn't and the toolbar was buggy (buttons were all black).

Yup, me too.
The only "advantage" to using Internet Exploder is that it can access M$ websites that Gates & Co. have deliberately blocked other browsers from.
:mad:

Mozilla mach-o is in development, there was a problem with the script that created the nightly builds.

devonferns and others, you should get chimera at chimera.mozdev.org. It looks nice and its fast :).

I really don't think this needs much argueing anymore... I'm happy with people using icab or omniweb or opera. Just don't use IE people :).

Back