Fatal Error

Sundevil88

Registered
Hey! I just got a new Intel Mac G5 and I am having some problems loading the Windows XP computer on to my computer. It seems that everything was going great until I tried to run Windows XP and then I got a 'Fatal Error' message. Does anyone know why this could be?

can you be more specific with what the message actually said. I have a Power Book G4 and about 2-3 months ago I got a Fatal Hard Drive Error. I lost everything on the Hard Drive and had to get it replaced. If this is the case with yours, BACK UP EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW!! Depending on how much data on the drive you have, it could take a lot of $$$ out of your wallet if you deside for Apple or some other company to get your data back. I say backup the most important data (to an external HD, DVD, CD or even your iPod). Good luck.

I'm guessing you don't have an iMac G5 (which uses the PowerPC 970, aka "G5", the fifth generation PowerPC CPU included in a Mac). I'm guessing you have an iMac with the Intel Core Duo CPU since you're trying to load Windows on it.

Apple had released a firmware update for the Intel Macs some months back which I believe fixed a lot of the issues users were having when attempting to install Windows. Run Software Update and make sure that you have all the necessary updates for OS X and your firmware.

cyprus mac man said:
can you be more specific with what the message actually said. I have a Power Book G4 and about 2-3 months ago I got a Fatal Hard Drive Error. I lost everything on the Hard Drive and had to get it replaced. If this is the case with yours, BACK UP EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW!! Depending on how much data on the drive you have, it could take a lot of $$$ out of your wallet if you deside for Apple or some other company to get your data back. I say backup the most important data (to an external HD, DVD, CD or even your iPod). Good luck.

Unless the original poster is hearing strange noises emanating from the hard drive, I wouldn't assume that the sky is falling. Consider that you have a different machine than the original poster (if my assumption is right about Sundevil88's "iMac G5" being an iMac Core Duo).

Remember that hard drives do fail....they don't last forever. The key is to listening to the sounds coming from your computer. If it's not a normal sound, then it's best to take the necessary measures before disaster strikes.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/know...4b1a62a50f405d0d86256756006e340c?OpenDocument

Back