Faulty Temp Sensor...Maybe?

jpthom

Registered
This is my problem: According to the Widget iStat my CPU A temperature fluctuates pretty wildly from a low of 36 degrees F to a high of a fairly normal 124 degrees. When a temperature change is sensed the fans go crazy (from a too low rpm of 300 to a high of over 3000 rpm in a matter of seconds. I have a G5 Dual 1.8. (by the way the CPU B temp stays within the normal range). I am thinking that the sensor is wrong (faulty), the fans pick up a false reading and do their thing. Has anyone heard of this problem before? I don't think the CPU is bad or nearly bad, as I would be crashing all over the place (which I'm not). Also, is the sensor an easy fix or a godzillion dollar one? The computer has served me well for over 4 years. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Graphic 1.jpg
    Graphic 1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Graphic 2.jpg
    Graphic 2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 3
No, I mean Fahrenheit. It gets to 34 or 36 degrees, and my house temp right now is 78 degrees F. A little toasty. That's why I think the temp sensor os faulty.

Huh!

Well, unless you failed to pay your Physics Bill, you definitely have a faulty sensor! :)

--J.D.

Would this trigger the fans? And/or stop them from their normal cycling operation? Is this easily fixable?

Back