Fav "old" apple computers

What is your favourite "old" apple computer?

• The 1999 color iMacs

• 333Mhz iMac

• 2002 iMac

• Color iBook

• First white iBook

• First PowerBook

• G4 Mac mini

• G5 iMac

• G4 Cube PowerMac

• G3 PowerMac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Take away the iMac G5 and Mac Mini G4 because they are for sale at the Apple Online Store. You can still pick up an eMac through the education option. In addition, they are not that 'old' when it comes to computers. Your best best is starting from 1993 - 2002

ApeintheShell said:
IMO the worst Mac had to be the iMac G4 but this is about favorites.
how come, i loved the way those things look. i fell in love when i saw it the first time. way better than the g3 imacs. i like it better than the g5/intel imac. it had personallity. o how i wish i had one...

OK, didn't he say old Apple computers? Wouldn't that include the Apple II series of computers as well? Apple didn't just start with making Macs, you know... ;)

I would have to say the Apple IIe and the IIGS were one of the best. Although I had the Apple IIc and it was a nice "portable computer", the lack of expandability compared to the Apple IIe and the IIGS bring the Apple IIc to a second place.

As for Macs, I love my Quadra 650 (33 MHz 68040 CPU). This particular Mac is actually hosting our family homepage using MacHTTP and NetPresenz for FTP.

I also liked the Motorola StarMax 4000 MT Macintosh clone which had a PPC 604e running at 160 MHz. This ran Mac OS 9.1 nicely as well as Debian "sarge". (The only reason I'm giving it away is because my iMc G5 is satisfying my PPC Mac needs. Anyone want it? All you would have to pay is shipping and I'll include a mouse and keyboard as well. :D)

As for my all-time favorite Pre-G3 Macs, I would have to say the Daystar Genesis Mac clones and the Power Macintosh 9600. Lots of expandability and nie looking cases IMO. :)

speXedy said:
I'd have to say non, I persoanlly hated Macs until the generation of OS X. I remember back in middle school, and before that when they had OS whatever, and it SUCKED! I thought they ran really slow, and looked terrible, but then again that was school computers, so maybe that had a bit to do with it.

I don't know how long you've been exposed to Macs, but if it was during the mid-90s I could understand. That was Apple's lowest period in computer history. Not until Jobs' return did things start changing for Apple. However, for Mac-heads like myself those Macs still had their appeal.

I could also especially understand if they were school computers. Since I work for the school system, I've seen Macs (even to this day) neglected or abused. One time I even saw a Mac LC 580 basically ripped to shreds with the CPU removed from its socket! This would give people the wrong impression of how wonderful a Mac truly was to use. The elation you feel using the Mac now is not unlike what I or other Mac fans had with early Macs. Apple has been able to maintain that "Macintosh experience" (for the most part if you ask some people here :p) for quite a long time, through the 68K-PPC transition, through the Classic/Mac OS X transition, and even through the PPC/Intel transition. I commend Apple for that.

Somebody just gave me a Powerbook 170 (laptop). I'm the only Mac user in the local café apparently. What should I do with it?

A 170 is one _great_ computer to write stories on. Get some kind of system 7.1 (7.1, 7.1P, 7.1.3 ...) and MacWrite II or Pro and use it to write. You can use the thing in bright sunlight and turn the backlight off to save energy. It's almost as good as the love of my life, the PowerBook 180 (which had 16 greyscales instead of just black and white).

Really? Thanks fryke. I'll do as you say and pass it onto to my daughter. She's 11 and loves to write stories. No kidding. Mmmm.

I dunno, the iMac G4 didn't feel like the new iMac to me. I used to work in a computer store and the people would come up to me and ask where the iMacs were. I pointed at the iMac G4 and usually the replies were, "Oh, this is neat" or "Can I still get the old one?". I think the iMac G5/Core Duo was a better successor to the iMac G3 because it had a vertical slot loading drive SuperDrive, was all in one(so was the iMac G4 but it looked like two pieces), better video, larger screens, introduced built in webcam later on, front row remote, and thus became the new digital entertainment hub. They should of just called the Cube the new iMac and included the monitor.

Actually, the screen size on the iMac G4 and the iMac G5/iMac Core Duo was the same. Initially, the 20" monster wasn't available on the G4 model, but was added later on.

Back